USAF Academy develops new body armor material

In summary, an Air Force Academy cadet has created a non-Newtonian fluid that can stop hand gun bullets, but it has not been proven to be effective against rifle ammunition. Some experts believe this technology has no significant advantage over standard Kevlar vests and is more of a gimmick. Other industry standard armor products have been proven to be more effective and cost-efficient.
Engineering news on Phys.org
@berkeman I'm not a chemist or engineer or materials scientist or anything like that, so I'm asking for more qualified people's thoughts on it because I'm trying to learn, not give my own uneducated opinion. But if I had to come up with some specific questions, I suppose I'd ask about non-Newtonian fluids in general, like how they work and how else they can be used, and if they've ever been used in armor before.

Likes berkeman
It is interesting, but I will point out that it has only stopped hand gun bullets so far. Hand gun bullets are of low velocity and very low cross sectional density. There are plenty of cheaper and easier to carry methods of stopping bullets. Kevlar vests do that without any non-Newtonian fluid.

I am having a hard time seeing the advantage in performance or logistics that this idea has when compared to a standard Kevlar vest. If it could stop actual rifle ammunition, it would be advantageous relative to the steel or ceramic level III and IV body plates. However, this can only stop pistol ammunition. This is a gimmick, in my opinion. USAF probably does not care about this technology. This was pursued, most likely because their PR/HR/Journalists thought that it would make a good story for their website.

As far as I can tell, this brings no actual demonstrable advantage over a standard Kevlar material. Most people are capable of combining materials that can stop 44 magnum bullets. There are lots of youtube videos of people making different types of body armor and stopping bullets that are actually good at barrier penetration (44 mag is one of the least capable rounds for defeating any sort of armor).

There have been a few experiments with non-Newtonian fluids for stopping bullets. The amount of fluid that would be needed to stop even small arms fire would be absurdly large. It might be easier to bring your own hill around on a pallet and hide behind that pile of dirt than it would be to use non-Newtonian fluids as armor against even a common civilian's 30-06 deer hunting rifle.

When it comes to cost vs. weight vs. actual protection that you get: This is 50 steps behind AR500 steel.

Last edited:
before this get out of hand ! check out DRAGON SKIN- and no you won't find hobbits.

Dragon skin fails all of the standardized testing conducted by the U.S military for armor. If you are interested in the armor technology that has the best cost/weight/protection characteristics, then here you go.

These products represent the industry standard. $155 for a level IV plate, and you can stop a .30 caliber tungsten-core AP bullet fired from a 30-06. If you find a fundamentally cheaper way to do that without adding weight to the armor, then you better get a patent on that before you even tell your wife.

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor/level-iii-lightweight-body-armor.html

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor/level-iv-body-armor.html

Likes berkeman

1. What is the new body armor material developed by USAF Academy?

The new body armor material developed by USAF Academy is a lightweight, flexible and durable material made from a combination of high-strength fibers such as Kevlar and Dyneema, as well as advanced ceramics.

2. How is this new body armor material different from existing materials?

This new body armor material is different from existing materials in that it offers a higher level of protection while also being more comfortable and less restrictive for the wearer. It also has a longer lifespan compared to traditional body armor materials.

3. How was this new body armor material developed?

This new body armor material was developed using a combination of advanced materials science techniques and rigorous testing, including ballistic and impact testing, to ensure its effectiveness and durability.

4. What are the potential benefits of this new body armor material?

The potential benefits of this new body armor material include increased protection for military and law enforcement personnel, as well as a reduction in weight and bulkiness of body armor, leading to improved mobility and comfort for the wearer.

5. When will this new body armor material be available for use?

While the exact timeline is not yet known, the USAF Academy is working to make this new body armor material available for use as soon as possible. It will likely undergo further testing and refinement before being distributed for use by military and law enforcement personnel.