1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use a standard A4 paper to form a block

1. May 14, 2006 #1
    How to use a A4 paper to form a largerest volume block?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't believe "A4 Paper" is a standard mathematical term!:wink:
    According to Wikpedia, A4 paper has height to width ratio of [itex]\sqrt{2}:1[/itex].

Now, are we allowed to cut the paper rather than just folding it? I assume the "block" can be a general rectangular solid, not necessarily a cube.
    If a rectanglar solid has dimensions x, y, z, then it has volume xyz and surface area 2xy+ 2yz+ 2xz. Taking the width of the paper to be 1, the height [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] then the area of the paper to be used is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

You are to maximize xyz subject to the requirement that [itex]2xy+ 2xz+ 2yz= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Since there are 3 unknown variables with only one constraint, I would be inclined to use the "Lagrange multiplier" method.
  4. May 14, 2006 #3
    thank you
    this is maths project!
  5. May 14, 2006 #4
    We have to make a net of the block!
    However i really don't know how to do this project , can you teach me?
  6. May 14, 2006 #5
    if i have some difficulties during do the project ,can i ask u?
  7. May 15, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "make a net of the block"?
  8. May 15, 2006 #7
    also need to draw the net of the block
  9. May 15, 2006 #8
    actually i don't how to find the vol.
  10. May 16, 2006 #9
    Can you simlify the answer?
    I am a form 3 student from HK.,it is really difficult for me to understander the answer.Could you help me?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?