Can a piece of A4 paper reach the moon?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether there are enough atoms in a piece of A4 paper to reach the moon. The initial discussion is about folding the paper in half 44 times, which leads to the question of whether there are enough carbon atoms in the paper to form a single nano-tube that can reach the moon. One commenter suggests cutting the paper instead of folding, and the conversation ends with a rough calculation of the potential dimensions of the nanotube.
nalA
This is a bit of a silly question, but one I'm curious about ...

It all started when I made a status update on facebook proclaiming that if you could fold a piece of A4 paper in half 44 times it would reach the moon.

One of the commenters made an interesting point by saying:
Surely if you fold it in half it gets smaller. Assuming you could fold it in half 44 times then it would get a lot smaller. If you fold something that begins life not being able to reach the moon, doesn't that mean it will reach the moon even less than in its pre-folded state?

I explained that I was talking about the (purely theoretical act) of doubling the thickness of a piece of paper 44 times, but it did make me wonder: Are there enough atoms in a piece of A4 paper to reach the moon?

So ... what I would now like to know is: If you took all the carbon atoms in an A4 piece of paper, re-arranged them to form a single nano-tube (of the most tightly rolled up variety) would its length exceed the distance between the Earth and the moon?

I would love to see some rough calculations along with the assumptions made in order to provide an answer to this question.

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate it by yourself, where is the problem?

In theoretically, it does.

A carbon atom is about 0.22 nm in diameter.

BTW, instead of conceptually folding the paper, can't you cut it in half just as many times? You'll never be able to fold more than 6 or 7 times in practice, but there is no practical limit to cutting.

I get that it'd be about 127nm by 127nm by 3.84403*10^8 meters in dimension.

Related to Can a piece of A4 paper reach the moon?

1. How far is the moon from Earth?

The moon is approximately 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers) away from Earth.

2. How thick is a piece of A4 paper?

A standard piece of A4 paper is about 0.1 millimeters thick.

3. Can a piece of A4 paper withstand the journey to the moon?

No, a piece of A4 paper is not strong enough to withstand the extreme conditions of space travel, such as high temperatures, radiation, and vacuum pressure.

4. How fast would a piece of A4 paper need to travel to reach the moon?

The escape velocity required to reach the moon is about 25,000 miles per hour (40,000 kilometers per hour), which is much faster than the speed a piece of A4 paper could travel.

5. Is it possible to fold a piece of A4 paper small enough to fit in a rocket to the moon?

No, even if you were able to fold a piece of A4 paper to an incredibly small size, it would still not be able to withstand the intense conditions of space travel and would likely disintegrate before reaching the moon.