Can a piece of A4 paper reach the moon?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nalA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moon Paper
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
nalA
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
This is a bit of a silly question, but one I'm curious about ...

It all started when I made a status update on facebook proclaiming that if you could fold a piece of A4 paper in half 44 times it would reach the moon.

One of the commenters made an interesting point by saying:
Surely if you fold it in half it gets smaller. Assuming you could fold it in half 44 times then it would get a lot smaller. If you fold something that begins life not being able to reach the moon, doesn't that mean it will reach the moon even less than in its pre-folded state?

I explained that I was talking about the (purely theoretical act) of doubling the thickness of a piece of paper 44 times, but it did make me wonder: Are there enough atoms in a piece of A4 paper to reach the moon?

So ... what I would now like to know is: If you took all the carbon atoms in an A4 piece of paper, re-arranged them to form a single nano-tube (of the most tightly rolled up variety) would its length exceed the distance between the Earth and the moon?

I would love to see some rough calculations along with the assumptions made in order to provide an answer to this question.

Thanks :)

Alan
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A carbon atom is about 0.22 nm in diameter.

BTW, instead of conceptually folding the paper, can't you cut it in half just as many times? You'll never be able to fold more than 6 or 7 times in practice, but there is no practical limit to cutting.
 
I get that it'd be about 127nm by 127nm by 3.84403*10^8 meters in dimension.