1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Gauss' Law to find the electric field

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    Use Gauss' Law to find the electric field, everywhere,of charge of uniform density [itex]\rho[/itex] occupying the region [itex]a<r<b[/itex], where r is the distance from the origin. Having done this, find the potential.

Ok, so far I said that by Gauss' Law,

[itex]\Phi=\oint_S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dS} = \int_V \nabla \cdot \vec{E} dV = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_V \rho dV [/itex]

and since V is arbitrary I obtain Poisson's Equation
    [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/itex]

I just can't see how to rearrange for E???

Initially I was considering integrating something over a sphere of radius b and then over a sphere of radius a and subtracting them but I don't have any idea what to integrate.

Are either of these ideas useful? If so, what do I do next? If not, can you suggest something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Electrostatics

What is a and b? If you are calculating the E field inside the uniformly charged sphere then the charge enclosed by the Gaussian surface is a function of the radius. Outside the sphere it can be treated as a point charge. The potential then can be found between the points a and b.
  4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

Homework Helper

Re: Electrostatics

Don't ignore the most important point of the problem. There is a symmetry that tells you the direction of E (+ or -) at every point in space, and that the magnitude of E is independent of two certain generalized coordinates.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?