Use geometric series to write power series representation

In summary, the conversation discussed using the geometric series to write down the power series representation for 1/(1+x) when |x| < 1. The solution involved rearranging terms and using the formula for a convergent, infinite geometric series. This was part of a larger proof to show that ln(1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for -1 < x ≤ 1.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

Complete the proof that ln (1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for -1< x ≤ 1 in the following steps.

Use the geometric series to write down the powe series representation for 1/ (1+x) , |x| < 1

This is the part (b) of the question where in part (a)I proved that ln (1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for 0< x ≤ 1by showing the limit of the errom is zero (hense converges).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is actually given, I just couldn't understand it. Shown below

1. 1/(1-x) =∑ x^k for |x|<1
2. 1/(1+x) =∑ (-x)^k
3. = ∑(-1)^k x^k
4. = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 ...for |-x| < 1 which is for |x|<1

To be clear, I only don't understand step one, the rest is just rearranging. Specifically I don't see how the expression on the left equals the summation on the right.

Note - all the summations are to infinity starting with k= 0

Physics news on Phys.org
NihalRi said:
Specifically I don't see how the expression on the left equals the summation on the right.
Do you know the formula for a convergent, infinite geometric series starting from unity as the first term and with the ratio ##x##?

Last edited:
Likes NihalRi
NihalRi said:

Homework Statement

Complete the proof that ln (1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for -1< x ≤ 1 in the following steps.

Use the geometric series to write down the powe series representation for 1/ (1+x) , |x| < 1

This is the part (b) of the question where in part (a)I proved that ln (1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for 0< x ≤ 1by showing the limit of the errom is zero (hense converges).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is actually given, I just couldn't understand it. Shown below

1. 1/(1-x) =∑ x^k for |x|<1
2. 1/(1+x) =∑ (-x)^k
3. = ∑(-1)^k x^k
4. = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 ...for |-x| < 1 which is for |x|<1

To be clear, I only don't understand step one, the rest is just rearranging. Specifically I don't see how the expression on the left equals the summation on the right.

Note - all the summations are to infinity starting with k= 0

By DEFINITION,
[tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} x^k = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{k=0}^n x^k [/tex]
if that limit exists.

You can apply high-school formulas for the finite sum, and so examine in detail what happens when ##n \to \infty##. You will see immediately why having ##|x| < 1## is important. Of course, the summation ##\sum (-1)^k x^k## is obtained from that of ##\sum y^k## just by putting ##y = -x## (in case that was what was bothering you).

Likes NihalRi
blue_leaf77 said:
Do you know the formula for a convergent, infinite geometric series starting from unity as the first term and with the ratio ##x##?

Ahh now that you mention it... totally get it now. Thank you

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant, called the common ratio. The general form of a geometric series is a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ..., where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you write a power series representation using geometric series?

To write a power series representation using geometric series, we can use the formula: ∑(n=0 to ∞) ar^n = a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... + ar^n. This is a special type of infinite series that can be used to represent many functions in mathematics.

3. What is the difference between a geometric series and a power series?

A geometric series is a specific type of series where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant. A power series, on the other hand, is a more general type of series that can be used to represent many different functions. It is a sum of terms with increasing powers of a variable.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a power series representation using geometric series?

To determine the convergence of a power series representation using geometric series, we can use the ratio test. If the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, then the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, then the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, then the test is inconclusive and other tests need to be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of using geometric series to write power series representations?

Geometric series and power series representations have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. One common application is in compound interest, where the interest earned on an investment is added to the principal, resulting in a geometric series. Power series representations are also used in modeling many physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of populations over time.