1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use geometric series to write power series representation

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Complete the proof that ln (1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for -1< x ≤ 1 in the following steps.

Use the geometric series to write down the powe series representation for 1/ (1+x) , |x| < 1

This is the part (b) of the question where in part (a)I proved that ln (1+x) equals its Maclaurin series for 0< x ≤ 1by showing the limit of the errom is zero (hense converges).
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is actually given, I just couldn't understand it. Shown below

1. 1/(1-x) =∑ x^k for |x|<1
    2. 1/(1+x) =∑ (-x)^k
    3. = ∑(-1)^k x^k
    4. = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 ........for |-x| < 1 which is for |x|<1

To be clear, I only dont understand step one, the rest is just rearranging. Specifically I dont see how the expression on the left equals the summation on the right.

Note - all the summations are to infinity starting with k= 0

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the formula for a convergent, infinite geometric series starting from unity as the first term and with the ratio ##x##?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. Mar 29, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By DEFINITION,
    [tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} x^k = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{k=0}^n x^k [/tex]
    if that limit exists.

You can apply high-school formulas for the finite sum, and so examine in detail what happens when ##n \to \infty##. You will see immediately why having ##|x| < 1## is important. Of course, the summation ##\sum (-1)^k x^k## is obtained from that of ##\sum y^k## just by putting ##y = -x## (in case that was what was bothering you).

5. Mar 29, 2016 #4
    Ahh now that you mention it...... totally get it now. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted