Use iteration to guess an explicit formula

In summary: I was unsure. Usually when we find an explicit formula for a recurrence, we get rid of indices in the recurrence relation so that we do at most one substitution into the formula. But if you say I am done - I am happy to take a break :) As for the proof, I think induction should take care of it. Thanks.
Arew

Homework Statement

Use iteration to guess an explicit formula for u_k = u_{k−2} * u_{k−1}, for all integers k ≥ 2, u_0 = u_1 = 2 and prove it .

Homework Equations

Hint: Express the answer using the Fibonacci sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

u_k = u_{k−2} * u_{k−1} and u_0 = u_1 = 2, so

u_2 = 2^2

u_3 = 2^3

u_4 = 2^5

u_5 = 2^8

u_6 = 2^13

u_7 = 2^21

Then (I think) in general we have ,

2^{F_k} = 2^{F_k-1 + F_k-2}

Not finished yet... But does it make sense so far?

BTW, I tried putting $ signs around expressions, but mathjax(?) doesn't seem to render in preview. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Arew said:
But does it make sense so far?
Yes.
Arew said:
BTW, I tried putting $ signs around expressions, but mathjax(?) doesn't seem to render in preview.
That was dollar signs in pairs, right? $$latex$$. Not sure if mathjax is same as LaTeX.

haruspex said:
Yes.

That was dollar signs in pairs, right? $$latex$$. Not sure if mathjax is same as LaTeX.

Oh, I never knew you had to put the dollar signs in pairs. Thanks.$$2^{F_k} = 2^{F_{k-1} + F_{k-2}}$$ then $$2^{F_n} = 2^ {\frac{\frac {1 + \sqrt 5}{2} - \frac {1 + \sqrt 5}{2}}{\sqrt 5}}$$ which implies $$\log_22^{F_n} = \log_22^ {\frac{\frac {1 + \sqrt 5}{2} - \frac {1 + \sqrt 5}{2}}{\sqrt 5}}$$ meaning $$F_n = {\frac{\frac {1 + \sqrt 5}{2} - \frac {1 + \sqrt 5}{2}}{\sqrt 5}}$$

Can I claim this to be the solution to the given recurrence relation?

Arew said:

Homework Statement

Use iteration to guess an explicit formula for u_k = u_{k−2} * u_{k−1}, for all integers k ≥ 2, u_0 = u_1 = 2 and prove it .

Homework Equations

Hint: Express the answer using the Fibonacci sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

u_k = u_{k−2} * u_{k−1} and u_0 = u_1 = 2, so

u_2 = 2^2

u_3 = 2^3

u_4 = 2^5

u_5 = 2^8

u_6 = 2^13

u_7 = 2^21

Then (I think) in general we have ,

2^{F_k} = 2^{F_k-1 + F_k-2}

Not finished yet... But does it make sense so far?

BTW, I tried putting $ signs around expressions, but mathjax(?) doesn't seem to render in preview. [/B]
Suggest you google Fibonacci series. I think you might have already solved this one as much as you can in post #1. (You still need to prove that your guess is correct.)

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Suggest you google Fibonacci series. I think you might have already solved this one as much as you can in post #1. (You still need to prove that your guess is correct.)

I was unsure. Usually when we find an explicit formula for a recurrence, we get rid of indices in the recurrence relation so that we do at most one substitution into the formula. But if you say I am done - I am happy to take a break :) As for the proof, I think induction should take care of it. Thanks.

1. What is iteration and how is it used to guess an explicit formula?

Iteration refers to a process of repeating a set of steps or calculations in order to reach a desired result. In the context of guessing an explicit formula, iteration involves using a trial-and-error approach to repeatedly test different values and see if they fit a given pattern or sequence. By using iteration, we can make educated guesses and refine them until we find the correct explicit formula.

2. Why is iteration important in science and mathematics?

Iteration is important because it allows us to solve complex problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps. It also helps us to make predictions and test hypotheses, which are crucial components of the scientific method. In mathematics, iteration is often used in various algorithms and equations to find solutions and understand patterns.

3. What are some strategies for effectively using iteration to guess an explicit formula?

One strategy is to start with a simple pattern that you know the explicit formula for, and then gradually increase the complexity of the pattern. Another strategy is to use a table or graph to visualize the pattern and make it easier to see any relationships between the numbers. Additionally, keeping track of previous guesses and their corresponding results can help guide future guesses.

4. Are there any limitations to using iteration to guess an explicit formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to using iteration. It can be a time-consuming process, especially for more complex patterns. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the explicit formula guessed through iteration is the correct one, as there could be multiple formulas that fit a given pattern. Therefore, it is important to verify the guessed formula through other methods such as algebra or using real-life data.

5. Can iteration be used to guess explicit formulas for non-numerical patterns?

Yes, iteration can be used to guess explicit formulas for non-numerical patterns as well. For example, it can be used to find a formula for the number of diagonals in a polygon or the number of syllables in a word. The same principles of trial-and-error and testing different values can be applied to any type of pattern or sequence.