Use Variation of Parameters to find a particular solution

In summary: Mark.In summary, the conversation discusses using Variation of Parameters to find a particular solution to $y'' - y = e^t$. It is determined that the particular solution is $y_p = \frac{1}{2}te^t$, and any additional terms that are not linearly independent of the homogeneous solution can be discarded.
shamieh
Can someone verify that my answer is correct ? Thanks in advance.

Use Variation of Parameters to find a particular solution to $y'' - y = e^t$

Solution:
$y_p = \frac{1}{2}te^t - \frac{1}{4} e^t$

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the terms of your particular solution is a solution to the corresponding homogeneous solution.

(a) A fundamental solution set \(\displaystyle \{y_1(t),y_2(t)\}\) for the corresponding homogeneous equation are:

\(\displaystyle y_1(t)=e^{t}\)

\(\displaystyle y_2(t)=e^{-t}\)

and so we take:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=v_1(t)y_1(t)+v_2(t)y_2(t)=v_1(t)e^{t}+v_2(t)e^{-t}\)

(b) Solve the system:

\(\displaystyle e^{t}v_1'+e^{-t}v_2'=0\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle e^{t}v_1'-e^{-t}v_2'=e^{t}\tag{2}\)

From (1), we find:

\(\displaystyle v_2'=-e^{2t}v_1'\)

And, then substituting into (2), we get:

\(\displaystyle v_1'=\frac{1}{2}\implies v_1=\frac{1}{2}t\)

\(\displaystyle v_2'=-\frac{1}{2}e^{2t}\implies v_2=-\frac{1}{4}e^{2t}\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=\frac{1}{2}te^{t}-\frac{1}{4}e^t\)

We may discard the term that simply adds a solution to the homogeneous equation, and state:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=\frac{1}{2}te^{t}\)

Because no work was shown, I didn't know until I actually worked the problem that this was the case. :D

MarkFL said:
We may discard the term that simply adds a solution to the homogeneous equation, and state:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=\frac{1}{2}te^{t}\)

Because no work was shown, I didn't know until I actually worked the problem that this was the case. :D

Mark, if my particular solution $y_p = ue^t + ve^{-t}$ then why are you "discarding" the solution for $v$ ? I mean isn't that part of my particular solution? Why would you throw $v$ away? If that was the case then why wouldn't I just set my $y_p$ (particular solution) to $y_p = ue^t$ in the first place?

Thanks for all your help.

All terms in the particular solution must be linearly independent of all terms in the homogeneous solution. Those that are not may be discarded because they add no useful information.

Adding:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{4}e^t\)

to the general solution when we already have:

\(\displaystyle c_1e^t\)

as one of the terms results in us still just having an arbitrary constant times $e^t$ in the general solution, so we may just discard it.

Oh oh oh, I see. Awesome. That makes sense. It's essentially useless bc we already have it. I get it now. Thanks

1. What is the Variation of Parameters method?

The Variation of Parameters method is a technique used in solving differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming that the solution has the form of a linear combination of a known set of functions.

2. When is the Variation of Parameters method typically used?

The Variation of Parameters method is typically used when the differential equation has non-constant coefficients or when the method of undetermined coefficients is not applicable.

3. How does the Variation of Parameters method work?

The Variation of Parameters method involves first finding the general solution of the homogeneous equation (equation without any external terms) and then using the general solution to find a particular solution by substituting unknown coefficients with functions.

4. What are the benefits of using the Variation of Parameters method?

The Variation of Parameters method allows for finding a particular solution to a differential equation without making any assumptions about the form of the solution. It also works for a wide range of non-constant coefficient equations.

5. Can the Variation of Parameters method be used for higher-order differential equations?

Yes, the Variation of Parameters method can be extended to solve higher-order differential equations by using a similar process of finding a general solution and substituting unknown coefficients with functions.