Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of parameters applied to an ODE

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

The ODE to solve via variation of parameters is ##(1-x)y''+xy'-y=(1-x)^2##.
    Knowing that ##e^x## and ##x## are solutions to the homogeneous ODE.
    Now if I call ##y_1=x## and ##y_2=e^x##, the Wronskian is ##W(y_1,y_2)=e^{x}(x-1)##.
    According to http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/VariationofParameters.aspx, the particular solution of the non homogeneous ODE should be of the form ##-y_1 \int \frac{y_2 (1-x)^2}{W(y_1,y_2)} dx+y_2 \int \frac{y_1(1-x)^2}{W(y_1,y_2)}##. This gave me ##y_p(x)=-\frac{x^3}{2}-x-1## I've even checked out with wolfram alpha the evaluation of the integrals, that is the result. However the answer is ##y_p=x^2+1##.
    I'm clueless on what's going on.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

If you take a careful look at that page you linked to, you'll notice that although the author writes the ODE as ##p(x)y'' + q(x)y' + r(x)y = g(x)##, he eventually states that he will assume p(x) = 1. The wikipedia page for variation of parameters similarly makes this assumption. Try diving your differential equation by (1-x) and then applying the ##-y_1 \int \frac{y_2 g(x)}{W(y_1,y_2)} dx+y_2 \int \frac{y_1g(x)}{W(y_1,y_2)}## formula, where g(x), the non-homogeneous term, is (1-x) rather than (1-x)2.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. Dec 4, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you very much. I totally missed this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook