Websites that can help in localization of Android apps for free

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of translating apps to different languages and the need for an online service to assist with this task. The speaker mentions crowdin.com as a potential option, but also suggests using Google Translate and verifying translations before using them in the app. They also mention the possibility of integrating with GitHub and using the Google Translate API. There is a mention of Tom Sawyer's Fence from American folklore, which serves as a humorous comparison to the task at hand.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
After publishing two apps on Google Play recently, I am currently looking for ways to translate my apps to different languages. In Android, all the strings used in the app are placed in the strings.xml file. If the app is installed on a device that is using a different locale, Android will first check whether a string resource file is available in that locale. If yes, it will use that particular translated resource file; otherwise it will use the default file. String resource files for different locales are put under different folders. The default will be res/values/strings.xml. The translated version in Bengali (India), for example, will be res/values-bn-rIN/strings.xml.

For translating my app into different languages, I will have to rely on help from enthusiastic users. I need an online service that can help me make it easy for people to translate the app. I should be able to upload the default string resource file, and the website should then list the strings. People will simply be able translate them; they should not need an account on that website. Once the translations are complete, the website should allow me to download the strings in an xml format such that I can directly use them on Android. My apps are all open-source and hosted on GitHub, so if the website allows integration with GitHub, it will be a bonus.

Anybody aware of such free websites? From a GitHub repo, I found crowdin.com. It was advertised as free, but once I created an account, they said that I am in a trial period of 14 days.

Technology news on Phys.org
Your request reminds me of Tom Sawyer's Fence from American folklore.
1606687818593.png

I think you should just use your programming skills to pull out all those strings, send them to translate.google.com, then put them back into the new file. Once debugged, it should be able to translate your strings into any other language in 0.2 seconds.
Here's a link to the translation API.

https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/apis

anorlunda said:
I think you should just use your programming skills to pull out all those strings, send them to translate.google.com, then put them back into the new file. Once debugged, it should be able to translate your strings into any other language in 0.2 seconds.
I can use Google Translate, but it is not always accurate. I know because I tried it while translating one app to Bengali, and the translation it gave was not always making sense. I can put up those translations for verification by people, but unless verified I am not going to put them in my app.

Crowdin is free for open source projects that meet the conditions here https://crowdin.com/page/open-source-project-setup-request

If your projects are not open source I think that hoping for someone to provide a valuable service to you for nothing is rather ambitious (although it worked for Tom Sawyer).

1. What is localization and why is it important for Android apps?

Localization is the process of adapting a product or service to a specific language, culture, and target market. It is important for Android apps because it allows the app to reach a wider audience and improve user experience by providing content in their native language and cultural context.

2. Are there any free websites that can help with localizing Android apps?

Yes, there are several websites that offer free localization services for Android apps, such as Localize.io, POEditor, and OneSky. These websites offer translation management tools and allow for collaboration with translators.

3. How do these websites help in localizing Android apps?

These websites provide a platform for developers to upload their app's strings and easily manage translations. They also offer translation services and allow for collaboration with multiple translators. Some websites also offer additional features like testing and app store optimization to improve the localization process.

4. Can these websites handle all languages for localization?

Most of these websites support a wide range of languages, including popular languages like Spanish, French, and Chinese. However, it is best to check the website's language support before using it for localization to ensure that the desired languages are available.

5. Are there any limitations to using free websites for localization?

While free websites can be a great resource for localization, they may have some limitations. For example, they may not offer as many features as paid services or may have a limit on the number of languages or words that can be translated for free. It is important to carefully review the features and limitations of each website before choosing one for localization.