Usefulness of higher math courses for EE/communication

• Thread starter Gauss M.D.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, taking math courses that are applicable to signal processing or communication theory may be worthwhile, depending on the courses available and the time available.
Gauss M.D.
Not talking about spending all your academic credits on stuff like analytic number theory and etale cohomology or whatever, but there's a couple of math courses I'd be very interested in, if they'd be at all useful to signal processing/communication theory, namely functional analysis and abstract algebra. Of course, taking those would possibly mean foregoing some of the more applied courses (computer vision, algorithms, remote sensing and stuff like that).

Could taking those math courses ever be justified, given the vast amount of interesting applied courses available and the scarcity of available time?

There's also an advanced course in optimization that's available (I really liked the introductory course), but that's probably useful enough not to worry about, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the mere existence of the endless applied courses means you are going to be using all of them on the job. My impression is that most jobs are not all that broad in their scope. So, I think you could make a good case that something that helps you understand something that you do use more thoroughly would be a better thing to spend your time on than one more random applied thing you won't use, unless there's some very compelling reason why you would need to add it to your skill set.

You shouldn't feel like you have to take a course if you want to learn something, though. Studying functional analysis in your own more applied way might be more useful than taking it from Mr. Abstract in the math department, depending on who's teaching and what book they use and so on. Usually, you'd want to do real analysis first, if you haven't already.

There are apparently some group theory applications in signal processing, but if I were you, my tendency would be to want to learn it as needed on my own, while keeping more of an engineering motivation than to study the subject for its own sake.

Taking at least one proof-based math class to start off with would probably be good, though, because it exposes you to that world and would prepare you to learn more mathematical material on your own. Just opens some doors.

Likes 1 person
Very appreciated input, thanks.

1. How do higher math courses benefit students studying EE/communication?

Higher math courses provide students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills that are essential for understanding and analyzing complex electrical engineering and communication systems. These courses also help students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to apply mathematical principles to real-world problems.

2. Are higher math courses necessary for success in the field of EE/communication?

While it is possible to excel in the field of EE/communication without taking higher math courses, having a strong background in math can greatly enhance a student's understanding and ability to solve problems in these fields. Many advanced concepts in EE/communication rely heavily on mathematical principles, making higher math courses essential for success.

3. What specific higher math courses are most useful for EE/communication?

Some of the most useful higher math courses for EE/communication include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics. These courses cover topics such as functions, vectors, matrices, differential equations, and probability distributions that are commonly used in the analysis and design of electrical and communication systems.

4. Can higher math courses be challenging for students studying EE/communication?

Higher math courses can be challenging for students studying any field, including EE/communication. However, with dedication and practice, students can overcome these challenges and reap the benefits of a strong mathematical foundation in their chosen field. Seeking help from professors or tutoring services can also be beneficial for students struggling with higher math courses.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the higher math concepts learned in EE/communication courses?

Yes, higher math concepts learned in EE/communication courses have many real-world applications. For example, calculus is used to analyze and design circuits, while linear algebra is used to model and optimize communication systems. Differential equations are also commonly used to study signal processing and control systems, and probability and statistics are essential for analyzing data in communication networks.