Usefulness of partition of unity?

In summary, a P.O.U. will allow us to break up a map into smaller maps in order to concentrate the map just into a small open set.
JonnyG
I am going through Spivak's Calculus on manifolds. I am on the chapter now regarding partitions of unity. I understand the construction of it, but why exactly is a partition of unity useful? Why do we care about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings,
few Words.
Hope I have provided the right answer in my answer...[pssst: I don't know what is this!I just know how to ultra google and tera- research!]

I read that already, but it didn't give me the clearest picture.

Basically, P.O.U's allow you to patch locally-defined objects, like Riemannian metrics in the manifold into globally defined objects.

Bacle2 said:
Basically, P.O.U's allow you to patch locally-defined objects, like Riemannian metrics in the manifold into globally defined objects.
I already said that. :cool:
Where is @JonnyG anyways? (Huh, oops...That will show a new alert on his page :wink:)

@Bacle2 It seems as if a partition of unity will allow us to break up a map into smaller maps. For example, if there was a set [itex]A \subset \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] and [itex] \{ \phi_i \} [/itex] is a partition of unity on [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] f [/itex] was a map on [itex] A [/itex] then given any [itex] x \in A [/itex] we can write [itex] f(x) = \sum_{i = 1}^{\infty} \phi_i (x) f(x) [/itex]. Each [itex] \phi_i (x) f(x) [/itex] is smaller than [itex] f(x) [/itex] because the [itex] \phi_i(x)f(x) [/itex] will vanish outside of some open set about [itex] x [/itex]. Thus we are concentrating the map just into that open set. Thus we can prove something or construct something regarding [itex] f [/itex] just in that small open set, then use a partition of unity to "glue it all together". I get that now. My question is - what advantages does this provide? I mean, why not just break up the set into smaller pieces rather than breaking up the map?

the domains of the maps overlap, so there is no disjoint partition of the set. all you have to do is keep reading spivak and see how he uses it. it is also used in algebraic geometry, in a different version where the key fact is that when elements f1,...,fn generate the unit ideal then there exiust g1,...,gn such that sum fjgj = 1.

JonnyG said:
@Bacle2 It seems as if a partition of unity will allow us to break up a map into smaller maps. For example, if there was a set [itex]A \subset \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] and [itex] \{ \phi_i \} [/itex] is a partition of unity on [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] f [/itex] was a map on [itex] A [/itex] then given any [itex] x \in A [/itex] we can write [itex] f(x) = \sum_{i = 1}^{\infty} \phi_i (x) f(x) [/itex]. Each [itex] \phi_i (x) f(x) [/itex] is smaller than [itex] f(x) [/itex] because the [itex] \phi_i(x)f(x) [/itex] will vanish outside of some open set about [itex] x [/itex]. Thus we are concentrating the map just into that open set. Thus we can prove something or construct something regarding [itex] f [/itex] just in that small open set, then use a partition of unity to "glue it all together". I get that now. My question is - what advantages does this provide? I mean, why not just break up the set into smaller pieces rather than breaking up the map?
Noticing you have not taken advantage of the link I provided...All I can say is that you didn't read the whole Spivak's Calculus.

I have read the link provided...anyway, after working on some of the problems in Spivak's book and Munkres' book, I am starting to get a more clear picture of how a P.O.U. should be used. As I continue on, I am sure it will become even more clear and apparent. Thanks for the help everybody.

What is partition of unity and why is it useful?

Partition of unity is a mathematical concept used in fields such as differential geometry and topology. It involves breaking up a space into smaller subsets, each with its own function that sums up to 1. This technique is useful for constructing global functions from local ones, which can be especially valuable in solving differential equations.

How is partition of unity used in differential equations?

Partition of unity allows for the construction of smooth functions that are globally defined but have different behavior on different subsets of a space. This is useful in solving differential equations, as it allows for the use of local solutions to find a global solution. It also helps in the application of boundary conditions, as the local functions can be adjusted to satisfy the conditions.

Can partition of unity be used in other fields besides differential equations?

Yes, partition of unity has applications in various fields such as physics, computer graphics, and data analysis. It is also used in finite element methods, where it helps in approximating solutions to partial differential equations.

What are the advantages of using partition of unity over other methods?

Partition of unity offers a more flexible and efficient approach in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems. It allows for the use of local information to construct global solutions, which can be more accurate and easier to work with. It also helps in dealing with complex boundary conditions and irregular domains.

Are there any limitations or challenges when using partition of unity?

Partition of unity can be challenging to implement in certain cases, as it requires careful selection of the local functions and their supports. It also introduces additional parameters that need to be determined, which can complicate the solution process. Additionally, partition of unity may not always be applicable, such as in non-smooth or discontinuous problems.