User Names with lines through them

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses account closures and bans on the forum. It is clarified that a crossed-out username means the user has been banned for not following rules, with the possibility of a temporary or permanent ban. The conversation also mentions some members asking to be banned and the speaker expressing their love for the forum and not wanting to be banned. It is noted that users with lines through their names cannot post, raising the question of whether they are on probation.
GreatEscapist
I feel like this is obvious.
That means that their account is closed, right? It is forced closed, or they just quit?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it means they got banned for not following forum rules. The ban can be temporary or permanent.

I'd say almost always it is a ban, either temporary or permanent. There are only a few cases where a member asked to be banned.

:frown:
I would hate being banned. This is the most awesome forum ever. :D

GreatEscapist said:
:frown:
I would hate being banned. This is the most awesome forum ever. :D

keep racking up those brownie points :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
keep racking up those brownie points :)

Lol. Will do. :wink:

Okay. Well, that cleared that up.

lisab said:
No, it means they got banned for not following forum rules. The ban can be temporary or permanent.

I see usernames with lines through them still posting. Are they on probation?

SW VandeCarr said:
I see usernames with lines through them still posting. Are they on probation?
They can't post with lines in their names. The ban would have to be after they posted.

1. What are "User Names with lines through them"?

"User Names with lines through them" are usernames that appear with a line or strike through them. This is typically seen on social media platforms or online forums, where users can change their display name.

2. Why do people use "User Names with lines through them"?

People use "User Names with lines through them" for various reasons, such as to show that they are taking a break from the platform, to make a statement, or to stand out from the rest of the usernames. Some may also use it as a form of aesthetic or for fun.

3. How do you create a "User Name with a line through it"?

There are several ways to create a "User Name with a line through it". Some platforms have built-in options to add a line through the username, while others may require the use of Unicode characters or special fonts. There are also online tools that allow users to generate a username with a line through it.

4. Is it possible to have a "User Name with a line through it" on all platforms?

It depends on the platform. Some platforms may have restrictions or limitations on the characters that can be used in a username, while others may not support special fonts or Unicode characters. It is best to check the platform's guidelines or try different options to see if it is possible.

5. Are "User Names with lines through them" permanent?

In most cases, "User Names with lines through them" are not permanent. Users can change their display name or username at any time, which will remove the line through it. However, some platforms may have restrictions on how often a username can be changed, so it is best to check the platform's guidelines.