Finding lines through given point perpendicular and parallel to given line

In summary, to find the equations of perpendicular and parallel lines passing through a given point, we can use the point-slope form and consider the slope relationships for each type of line. The equations for parallel and perpendicular lines passing through the point (1,1) are y-1 = 2(x-1) and y-1 = -1/2(x-1), respectively.
swag312
Hey, not sure how to translate this from my native language, I hope you understand what I mean.

Write down for the line
y = 2x + 3 perpendicular and parallel lines passing through the point
(1; 1) equations.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
swag312 said:
Hey, not sure how to translate this from my native language, I hope you understand what I mean.

Write down for the line
y = 2x + 3 perpendicular and parallel lines passing through the point
(1; 1) equations.

using the point-slope form, $y-y_1 = m(x-x_1)$

parallel lines have the same slope ...

$y-1 = 2(x-1)$

perpendicular lines have slopes that are opposite reciprocals ...

$y - 1 = -\dfrac{1}{2}(x-1)$

... and this post belongs in Pre-algebra and Algebra, not Linear and Abstract algebra

What is the concept of finding lines through a given point perpendicular to a given line?

The concept involves finding a line that intersects with the given point at a 90 degree angle (perpendicular) to the given line. This can be done by finding the slope of the given line and then using the negative reciprocal of that slope to find the slope of the perpendicular line.

How do you find the equation of a line that is parallel to a given line and passes through a given point?

To find the equation of a line that is parallel to a given line, we need to use the same slope as the given line. Then, we can use the given point to find the y-intercept of the parallel line. The equation will be in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

Can there be more than one line that is perpendicular to a given line and passes through a given point?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of lines that are perpendicular to a given line and pass through a given point. This is because the perpendicular line can have any slope as long as it is the negative reciprocal of the given line's slope.

Is it possible for a line to be both perpendicular and parallel to a given line at the same time?

No, it is not possible for a line to be both perpendicular and parallel to a given line at the same time. This is because perpendicular lines have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other, while parallel lines have the same slope.

How can finding lines through a given point perpendicular and parallel to a given line be applied in real life?

This concept can be applied in real life situations such as construction, where perpendicular and parallel lines are used to create strong and stable structures. It can also be used in navigation, where perpendicular and parallel lines are used to determine direction and distance. Additionally, this concept is used in various fields of engineering and physics to solve problems involving angles and slopes.