1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uses of mean, standard deviation and Z tables

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me with this question at all? I don't have a clue about the calculations and would be grateful if it could be explained to me! I'm really struggling! Thanks

Some light emitting diodes are tested and a sample is found to have a mean lifetime of 2048 hours and a standard deviation of 40 hours. The manufacturer wants to give a guaranteed lifetime for the LED’s on the box so that only 2% of the bulbs will be returned for not lasting for the guaranteed lifetime. Using Z table standard normal distribution show your calculation giving the lifetime he should put on the box.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

The question is asking you to find the lifetime X such that the probability of failure P(F) is less then or equal to .02.
  4. May 21, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know how to change from a normal distribution with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] to the standard normal distribution? If not, why in the world are you doing a problem like this?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?