Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Uses of mean, standard deviation and Z tables

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me with this question at all? I don't have a clue about the calculations and would be grateful if it could be explained to me! I'm really struggling! Thanks

Some light emitting diodes are tested and a sample is found to have a mean lifetime of 2048 hours and a standard deviation of 40 hours. The manufacturer wants to give a guaranteed lifetime for the LED’s on the box so that only 2% of the bulbs will be returned for not lasting for the guaranteed lifetime. Using Z table standard normal distribution show your calculation giving the lifetime he should put on the box.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

exk

The question is asking you to find the lifetime X such that the probability of failure P(F) is less then or equal to .02.

4. May 21, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you know how to change from a normal distribution with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] to the standard normal distribution? If not, why in the world are you doing a problem like this?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook