Normal distribution - Finding mean and standard deviation

In summary, the high jumper can clear a height of 1.78m on 5 out of 10 attempts and 1.65m on 7 out of 10 attempts.
James...

Homework Statement

A high jumper knows from experience that she can clear a height of at least 1.78m once in 5 attempts. She also knows that she can clear a height of at least 1.65m on 7 out of 10 attempts.
Find to 3 dp the mean and standard deviation of the heights the jumper can reach

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question on an online tutorial. I work it out slightly differently and get different answers.

After rounding I get

mean of 1.700m
standard deviation of 0.091m

Would anyone be able to double check for me, it's using statistics tables so I'm not sure how to put all my working down. My exam is this coming week and I want to be sure I am using the tables correctly.

I suppose the main bits I would like to check are

[tex]\Phi[/tex](Z1) = 0.8

[tex]\Phi[/tex](-Z2) = 0.7

I get Z1 = 0.8779 and Z2 = -0.5534

This is where we get different answers. I use Neaves tables and do the "inverse normal function" to gain Z, where as he uses the "c.d.f of the standard normal distribution table", finds a probability valuse as close to 0.8 and 0.7 as possible and then takes the corresponding Z value.

Any help would be appreciated.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
If a normal distribution has mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex], then the "standard normal variable" is [itex]z= (x- \mu)/\sigma[/itex].

What you are saying is that x= 1.78 corresponds to z= 0.8779 and x= 1.65 corresponds to z= -.05534.

So you need to solve the equations
[tex]\frac{1.79- \mu}{\sigma}= 0.8779[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{1.65- \mu}{\sigma}= -0.05534[/tex]

Solve those two equations for [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex].

Dividing one equation by the other will immediately eliminate [itex]\sigma[/itex] and leave a linear equation for [itex]\mu[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, but I get that part. I was wondering about the values of 0.8779 and -0.5534

I think they are correct for the corresponding probabilities but the answer got different values.

So it's actually the Z1 and Z2 values I need checking. After that, I'm fine.

CHeers
James

A table of the normal distribution is available online at
http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm

I would interpret "she makes this height once in 5 attempts" as meaning she makes it 20% of the time so misses 80% of the time and I would look up z corresponding to .8- on this table that is z= .875- that height is .875 standard deviations above her mean. Similarly, making a height "7 out of 10 times" means she misses it .3 times so I would look up z corresponding to .3. This particular table only gives positive z so would look up, instead, .5+ .3= .8 which is what we already have- it was z=.875. The z corresponding to .3 is -.875.

My .875 corresponds, to the accuracy of my table, to your .8779 but my -.875 is nowhere near your -.5534. Because .3 and .8 are equally spaced about .5, I am inclined to believe my results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the reply, and you are correct. I was using the table wrong and now understand how it all works properly. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

JAmes

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution where the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean and follows a bell-shaped curve. It is also known as a Gaussian distribution.

How do you find the mean of a normal distribution?

The mean of a normal distribution is also known as the average or the center of the distribution. To find the mean, you add all the data points together and divide by the total number of data points.

What is standard deviation in a normal distribution?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean. It tells you how much the data varies from the average. A lower standard deviation indicates that the data points are close to the mean, while a higher standard deviation indicates that the data points are more spread out.

How do you calculate the standard deviation of a normal distribution?

To calculate the standard deviation, you first find the mean of the data. Then, for each data point, subtract the mean and square the result. Add up all the squared differences and divide by the total number of data points. Finally, take the square root of this value to find the standard deviation.

What is the significance of the mean and standard deviation in a normal distribution?

The mean and standard deviation are important because they tell us about the central tendency and variability of the data. They help us understand the distribution of the data and make predictions about future data points. They are also used in statistical tests and analyses to make inferences about a population based on a sample.