Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a motor to move something 90 degrees

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone, learning a bit of hands on engineering and have no idea what to search in order to buy what is needed. Im looking for a motor that can be activated by a simple switch on a wire that will rotate a piece of metal 90 . degrees. Excuse the poor image but hopefully someone can point me in right direction for this project.

sRbaEey.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are going to need more than just a switch and a motor, I think. The switch can tell the motor to turn but you have to have something to tell the motor to stop turning. How about the reverse? Do you want the piece to be able to rotate back to its original position?

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    Yeah basically to throw a switch that will move it 90 degrees one way and then flip it the other direction to move it 90 degrees back to the original starting position. Is there anything premade that might work for this?

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of but just 'cause I don't know doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5
    Have you considered using a servo motor?

7. May 17, 2015 #6
    If the rods are hinged attach a large gear to one of them parallel to the horizontal i.e. like a hand grinder with 2 handles. Then connect a simple DC motor to it via a smaller gear. Use a 2 way switch to operate the motor.

If you need stops use limit switches and a few more wires

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook