Using a motor to move something 90 degrees

In summary, a servo motor can be used to rotate a piece of metal 90 degrees, stop it, and reverse the rotation. You will need to buy a few extra parts, including a limit switch.
asaper
Hi everyone, learning a bit of hands on engineering and have no idea what to search in order to buy what is needed. I am looking for a motor that can be activated by a simple switch on a wire that will rotate a piece of metal 90 . degrees. Excuse the poor image but hopefully someone can point me in right direction for this project.

sRbaEey.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are going to need more than just a switch and a motor, I think. The switch can tell the motor to turn but you have to have something to tell the motor to stop turning. How about the reverse? Do you want the piece to be able to rotate back to its original position?

Yeah basically to throw a switch that will move it 90 degrees one way and then flip it the other direction to move it 90 degrees back to the original starting position. Is there anything premade that might work for this?

asaper said:
Yeah basically to throw a switch that will move it 90 degrees one way and then flip it the other direction to move it 90 degrees back to the original starting position. Is there anything premade that might work for this?
Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of but just 'cause I don't know doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

asaper said:
Hi everyone, learning a bit of hands on engineering and have no idea what to search in order to buy what is needed. I am looking for a motor that can be activated by a simple switch on a wire that will rotate a piece of metal 90 . degrees. Excuse the poor image but hopefully someone can point me in right direction for this project.

sRbaEey.png
Have you considered using a servo motor?

If the rods are hinged attach a large gear to one of them parallel to the horizontal i.e. like a hand grinder with 2 handles. Then connect a simple DC motor to it via a smaller gear. Use a 2 way switch to operate the motor.

If you need stops use limit switches and a few more wires

What is a motor and how does it work?

A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using magnets and electromagnets to create rotational motion.

How can a motor be used to move something 90 degrees?

A motor can be attached to a mechanical system, such as a gear or pulley, that rotates a shaft at a specific angle. By controlling the speed and direction of the motor, the object attached to the shaft can be moved 90 degrees.

What are some common types of motors used to move things 90 degrees?

Some common types of motors used for this purpose include servo motors, stepper motors, and DC motors.

What factors should be considered when choosing a motor for a specific 90 degree movement?

The weight and size of the object being moved, the required speed and precision of the movement, and the power source available are all important factors to consider when choosing a motor.

What are some safety precautions to take when using a motor to move something 90 degrees?

It is important to ensure that the motor is properly mounted and secured to prevent any accidents or injuries. Additionally, the power supply should be turned off and the motor should be disconnected before making any adjustments or repairs.