Using a solenoid to launch a paper plane for distance with 1.5A current

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Sensuisam
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I simply need to shoot a paper plane very far, the furthest distance. I cannot interfere with it during flight. I plan to have copper wires up a standing pole, from the pole, an extension (used as a ramp for the plane to gain acceleration), will stick out less than 90 deg/ Perpendicular). On that extension ramp I will have a linear solenoid setup (permanent mag. in back then a 10mm push solenoid) and a non -charged metal rod in the center of the solenoid ( to be induced) to repel out the plane which will have a magnet in the back of it.

I would like to ask about the specs. since this is a school project in a AP class; it cannot be dangerous. I plan to conect the copper wires to a AC outlet (120V) and a step down transformer allowing 1.5A to come through. With 1.5A, will that be enough current for the solenoid's magnetic field to repel the plane a long distance, a few feet? Along with gravitational potential as well. The pole is 4-5 up, I could make it bigger. ----Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org