1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Characteristic equations to solve 2nd order linear DEQ's

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    The problem statement:

Find the largest interval in which the solution of the following initial value problem is valid:

cos(t/3)y'' +(6t^2)y' + ((t-5)^-3)y = 0

Initial conditions:

y(1) = 1
    y'(1)= 3

I have a few questions concerning this problem.

I've converted it to it's characteristic equation:

r^2 + [(6t^2)/(cos(t/3)]r + [(t-5)^-3]/(cos(t/3))

This isn't something I'm readily able to factor. So I move to the quadratic equation... Which is what I'm confused about.

When I write down the quadratic equation for this problem, I have a feeling that I've gone down the wrong path to the solution because it turns out to be something that I don't really know what to do with. I can get 2 different and unique roots, but they're both going to be in terms of t. Every example I've seen of this being done always ends with the 2 r's as numbers. Never in terms of t.

I'm not sure what to do here.

Do I even need to solve this equation? I've been thinking about it and all it asks is for the interval where the solutions will be valid, and I can do that relatively easily. All I would need to do, if that were the case for this problem, is to solve these few equations:

cos(t/3) = 0

t-5 = 0

Wherever these equations are true are where the interval boundaries are going to be.

A long post.. almost a wall of text, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    Since (t-5)^-3 has a singularity at t=5 & other terms are continuous,the answer is [1,5).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook