Using different size wheel in ATV

• Thread starter jjrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the stability of an ATV depends on the location of the center-of-mass in relation to the wheelbase. Larger wheels can lower stability, but this can be improved by widening the wheelbase or adding ballast. However, using different size wheels can also impact the angular acceleration of the vehicle and its stability. The type of surface and intended use of the vehicle should be considered when choosing different size wheels.
jjrocks
Can we use different size wheels in an ATV from stability point of view as they have different masses

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
ATV means All Terrain Vehicle to me. Just checking.
Even so, there are a wide variety. Presumably we can rule out hovercraft ;)
Maybe tracked ATVs ... still leaves a great many with just wheels.
Do you mean things like the quad-bikes?

The stability depends on the location of the center-of-mass in relation to the wheelbase.
Larger wheels can raise the com - lowering stability. Imagine an extreme case - if you used truck wheels say?
You would want to also widen the wheelbase and/or add some ballast to improve stability.

But if we use different size wheel by chance then it also cause different angular acceleration of wheel that impact too during stablity

How so?

Because moment of inertia of the wheels are different as they have different masses

How does the moment of inertia affect stability?

jjrocks said:
But if we use different size wheel by chance then it also cause different angular acceleration of wheel that impact too during stablity

It depends on what you want to do with the vehicle and what type of surface it will be running on. A racecar, say NASCAR for instance, may have 4 tires that are four different sizes and they do it for stability in a turn at 250 + KPH.

Then again the tires don't last long.

Likewise if I choose a rough traine at max 60kmpl then what you suggest to choose

1. Can I use different size wheels on my ATV?

Yes, you can use different size wheels on your ATV as long as they are compatible with the vehicle and do not exceed the recommended tire size for your particular ATV model.

2. What are the benefits of using larger wheels on my ATV?

Larger wheels can provide better traction, stability, and ground clearance, making them ideal for off-roading and navigating through rough terrain.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using different size wheels on my ATV?

Using different size wheels can affect the handling and performance of your ATV, potentially causing it to be less responsive and altering the speedometer and odometer readings. It may also void the manufacturer's warranty.

4. How do I determine the right size wheels for my ATV?

You can consult your ATV's owner's manual or contact the manufacturer to find out the recommended tire size for your specific model. You can also seek advice from a professional mechanic or ATV dealer.

5. Can I mix and match different size wheels on my ATV?

It is not recommended to mix and match different size wheels on your ATV. This can cause uneven weight distribution and affect the handling and safety of your vehicle. It is best to stick with the recommended tire size for your ATV.