Is it possible to create linear acceleration using nothing but different moments of inertia beteen a wheel and axle?

• I
  • Thread starter BishopBrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
BishopBrain
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to create linear acceleration using nothing but different moments of inertia beteen a wheel and axle?
The Twisted Metal video game series includes a character aptly named Axel, whose vehicle is just himself strapped to a pair of tractor wheels. This is the guy:

axel.jpg

Most of my friends assume that in real life, he probably wouldn't be able to drive anywhere unless his feet were incredibly heavy, so that gravity would apply torque as his lower half swung forward--similar mechanics to a monocycle.

But one of us claimed that even if Axel's center of mass lay perfectly on the axis of rotation of the big wheels , he would still be able to move a little bit if he were so heavy that the moment of inertia of himself was significantly greater than the moment of inertia for his wheels. Axel would still be spinning sickeningly, but his contraption could move about at least a little bit.

Is this correct? Can two very-different wheels applying torque to one another via an axle generate linear motion from friction, even in the absence of any external forces tangential to the axle? We were skeptical, but couldn't figure out how to set up the system to test the math.

Physics news on Phys.org
If he's rigidly attached to the wheels and he can flex his body to keep his center of mass forwards of the rotation axis then sure he can roll. He'd flip end for end as he does it, though, and I'm guessing the vehicle acts more like a Segway.

Obviously Segways are possible, but you need a motor.

Likes Lnewqban
Welcome!
What are those things attached to the shoulders?

Likes BishopBrain
Lnewqban said:
What are those things attached to the shoulders?
Machine guns or missiles, I forget which.

Ibix said:
If he's rigidly attached to the wheels and he can flex his body to keep his center of mass forwards of the rotation axis then sure he can roll. He'd flip end for end as he does it, though, and I'm guessing the vehicle acts more like a Segway.

Obviously Segways are possible, but you need a motor.
Yes, in game he's motorized like a Segway. In-game he's also perfectly upright at all times, which is not terribly realistic...

The crux of my question is, if motorized and if his CoM is always on-axis, is movement possible for Axel. If he has a CoM off-axis, then he clearly can (in any number of ways), and I know how to draw up the free-body diagram to analyze it.

Last edited:
BishopBrain said:
The crux of my question is, if motorized and if his CoM is always on-axis, is movement possible for Axel.
Sure, but the wheel hubs (with him) will spin opposite to the wheels.

There is some similarity with a tight rope walker carrying a pole.

The walker can accelerate his center of gravity rightward or leftward by exerting torque against the pole while his feet exert a counter torque on the rope.

1. Can linear acceleration be achieved solely by manipulating the moments of inertia between a wheel and axle?

Yes, it is possible to create linear acceleration by varying the moments of inertia between a wheel and axle. By changing the distribution of mass within the wheel or axle, the rotational acceleration can be converted into linear acceleration.

2. How does altering the moments of inertia affect linear acceleration?

Altering the moments of inertia changes how the rotational acceleration is transferred to linear acceleration. By adjusting the distribution of mass within the wheel or axle, the efficiency of this conversion can be optimized to achieve the desired linear acceleration.

3. Are there any limitations to creating linear acceleration using moments of inertia?

While manipulating moments of inertia can generate linear acceleration, there may be practical limitations. Factors such as friction, energy loss, and material properties can impact the effectiveness of this method in real-world applications.

4. What are the advantages of using moments of inertia for linear acceleration?

Using moments of inertia for linear acceleration can offer advantages such as simplicity, efficiency, and precise control. By adjusting the mass distribution within the system, the acceleration can be tailored to specific requirements with minimal complexity.

5. How can the relationship between moments of inertia and linear acceleration be optimized?

To optimize the relationship between moments of inertia and linear acceleration, careful design and engineering are required. By considering factors such as mass distribution, rotational dynamics, and energy transfer, the efficiency and effectiveness of this method can be maximized.