1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using dimensional analysis to create dimensionless equation

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am tasked with solving and creating a dimensionless equation from a differential equation given.

2. Relevant equations
    This is the given equation:

render.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    When doing the dimensional analysis I see that we are left with units of [m-3][kg1][s-2].

These units are actually the units of the inverse of the gravitational constant G. So to make this equation dimensionless would I just multiple both sides by G? So we get this dimensionless equation (but not really since the left side isn't exactly dimensionless):

render.png

Would appreciate help on where to go with this! Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please give the problem exactly as stated.

4. May 1, 2017 #3
    Question: Solve and make a dimensional analysis in order to ensure the equation is really dimensionless.

5. May 1, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is not the entire problem. It sounds like the very end of the problem text.

6. May 2, 2017 #5
    What is c in the equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted