Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using ferromagnetism in reinforced concrete

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    Hey there,

I am currently majoring in civil engineering. A while ago when I was wondering about ferromagnetism an idea occured to me:

In reinforced concrete design adherence between structural steel and concrete is a very important feature. Simply, if we could enhance the adherence, this would lead an increase in strenght.

My idea is, what if we add ferromagnetic particles to the concrete mixture and somehow magnetise the structural steel while the concrete is still in a liquid form. Is this possible? Do you think this would enhance the adherence between steel and the concrete? Or else what do you think would happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Magnetic forces are tiny compared to the structural strength of reinforced concrete and its components.

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3
    Of course they are, when the concrete gets hardened the forces generated by magnetism would be negligable. But before the concrete gets hardened, when it's still in a liquid form wouldnt those magnetic forces help the concrete to better converge with the structural steel, ultimately increasing the adherence after the concrete gets hardened?

5. Feb 9, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ah, that way.
    Would surprise me, but I cannot rule it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook