Using Four vectors & Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses three parts of a problem involving energy, velocity, and momentum of an incoming particle, as well as the conservation of quantities and computation of the system's invariant. It is determined that the energy of the incoming particle is 3MeV, the momentum is 2√2 MeV/c, and the velocity is 2c/3*√2. For part (b), it is concluded that energy and momentum are conserved. Part (c) requires computing the invariant, which is determined to be the total energy and momentum of the system.
Sekonda
Hey,

My question concerns parts (a), (b) and (c) in the below.

tmst2.png

In part (a) we're asked to find the energy, velocity and momentum of the incoming particle AND then to find gamma, however I know the energy of the incoming particle is simply 3MeV but I'm not sure how to find the velocity without finding gamma first? I'm not sure whether this matters but I found E=3MeV, p=2√2 MeV/c and v=2c/3*√2... Is this right? and γ=3

Part (b) asks which quantities are conserved - surely this is just energy and momentum? Or is the invariant of energy and momentum?

Part (c) asks to compute the invariant of the system - I'm guessing 'E' is just the total energy i.e. sum of incoming with rest of stationary and 'p' is the momentum determined in part (a)

Thanks for any help/confirmation on answers,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a) it looks like you got it right.

For part b) you could work it out explicitly to check what the correct answer is.

For part c) yes, you are right.

Cheers man, I guess your suggestion for part (b) would make sense...

I'll do that now,
Thanks,
SK

1. What are four vectors in special relativity?

Four vectors are mathematical quantities that describe the position, velocity, and momentum of objects in special relativity. They consist of four components: time, x, y, and z, and are represented by a column matrix.

2. How are four vectors used in special relativity?

Four vectors are used to describe the motion of objects in special relativity, taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. They are also used to calculate the energy and momentum of objects in different reference frames.

3. What is the relationship between four vectors and Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are used to convert the coordinates of an event from one reference frame to another in special relativity. Four vectors are invariant under Lorentz transformations, meaning they have the same components in all reference frames.

4. Can four vectors be used in general relativity?

While four vectors are primarily used in special relativity, they can also be used in general relativity to describe the motion of objects in curved spacetime. However, in general relativity, the components of four vectors may vary in different reference frames.

5. What are some real-life applications of four vectors and special relativity?

Four vectors and special relativity have many practical applications, such as in the design of GPS systems, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. They are also used in the study of astrophysics and cosmology, helping us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds and in extreme environments.