Using integration to find depth

In summary, to determine the depth of the sinkhole, we need to find the time it takes for the sound to travel from the bottom of the pit to the top, and then use the free fall equation to solve for the depth. This can be done by subtracting the time it takes for the sound to return from the total time of 8.5 seconds, and then using the equation y = 0.5 * a * t^2 to solve for the depth.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

Your mobile phone drops down a sinkhole. You hear it hit the bottom 8.5 seconds later. How deep is the hole?
Assume there is no air resistance
velocity of sound 334m/s
gravity 9.8m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integrating the equation using just the acceleration; however, I believe that the velocity of sound needs to be incorporated aswell. So I started with a(t)=9.8 then integrated to get 9.8t +c, then I made t=0 v=0 and so c=0 and integrated again to get 4.9t^2 +c, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jackscholar! :smile:

do it the other way round …

find the time it takes to fall a distance x, then add the time for the sound to return from that distance,

then put that equal to 8.5, and solve for x :wink:

all I can think of is 8.5=9.8x + ?? for some reason I keep going back to 8.5=9.8x+x/334

what is the time taken to fall a distance x (from rest)?

I'm sorry but i have absolutely no idea

I shall sleep on it. Thank you for all your help, as always you've given me something to think about.

Hint:

Determine the time for the sound to go from bottom of pit to top. If depth is y then

dt = y/334 seconds

Use free fall equation to determine depth of hole.

y = 0.5 * a * t^2 where

t = total time minus the time for the sound to get from bottom to top
a = 9.8 m/sec^2

1. How is integration used to find depth in scientific research?

Integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve. In scientific research, it can be used to find the depth of a specific variable or phenomenon by integrating a function that represents its behavior over time or space.

2. What types of data are needed to use integration for finding depth?

To use integration for finding depth, you will need data that represents the behavior of the variable or phenomenon over time or space. This can include measurements, observations, or experimental results.

3. Can integration be used to find depth in any type of scientific research?

Yes, integration can be used in various fields of scientific research, including physics, chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It is a versatile tool that can be applied to different types of data and research questions.

4. What are the benefits of using integration to find depth in scientific research?

Using integration allows for a more accurate and precise determination of depth, as it takes into account the entire curve or data set rather than just specific data points. It also allows for the analysis of complex relationships between variables.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using integration for finding depth in scientific research?

One limitation of using integration is that it assumes a continuous and smooth relationship between variables. In reality, many relationships in scientific research may be more complex and non-linear. Additionally, integration requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and may be challenging for researchers without a strong math background.