Solve 1-D Motion Problems: Homework Statement

• Thread starter Tchao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: And for a lot of math, you don't even need to know the LaTex codes, just click on the ##\Sigma## button and you can make fractions and superscripts and all sorts of stuff. No need to know anything about LaTex or BBCode.
Tchao

Homework Statement

a. If a ball is launched straight upwards from the ground with an initial velocity of 20.0 m/s, how long does the ball take to reach a height of 15.0 m on the way up?

b. For the same situation, at what time does the ball reach 15.0 m on the way back down?

c. If a ball is dropped from a height of 100.0 m, what is it's height above the ground (in meters) after 3.0 s?

d. If a ball is dropped from a height of 100.0 m, what is it's velocity (in m/s) after 3.00 s? You may treat downward velocity as positive.

Homework Equations

Vx = V0x + axt
x= x0 +v0xt + 1/2axt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. 15 = 20t - 4.9t^2
I took the derivative of my equation.
15 = 20 - 9.8t
t = 0.510 s

b. 0 = 20t - 4.9t^2
I assume the height from problem a cancels out with problem b giving 0 and I also took the derivative of equation.
0 = 20 - 9.8t
t= 2.04 s

c. x = 100 - 4.9t^2
Plug in 3.0 s for t.
x = 55.9 m

d. Vx = 9.8 x 3.0 = 29.4 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tchao and welcome to PF.

Tchao said:
Why? Just solve the quadratic and you will get two solutions. What is the meaning of each solution?

On edit: The derivative of 15 with respect to time is not 15.

So, I get 3.09 s and 0.990 s when solving using the quadratic equation.
The 0.990 s would be the solution to problem A and the 3.09 s would be the solution to problem.

Tchao said:
So, I get 3.09 s and 0.990 s when solving using the quadratic equation.
The 0.990 s would be the solution to problem A and the 3.09 s would be the solution to problem.
Correct. The two solutions are the two times when the ball is at height 15 m. The last two parts look fine.

Tchao said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a. 15 = 20t - 4.9t^2
15 = 20 - 9.8t
t = 0.510 s

You cannot take the derivative here, because that is an equation for specific values of ##t##.

For example, how long does it take to go ##5m## at ##2m/s##?

You get the equation (1) ##2t = 5## hence ##t = 2.5s##

But, if you differentiate that equation (1), you get the nonsensical ##2 = 0##.

You can only differentiate something that is an equation for all ##t##. For example: ##s = ut + 0.5 at^2## is an equation that holds for all ##t##, where ##u, a## are constants and ##s## is, therefore, a function of ##t##.

Differentiating that equation gives ##v = \frac{ds}{dt} = u + at##, which is then valid for all ##t## and is, as you may recognise, another equation of motion.

Last edited:
The only thing left to say is puhlease use BBcode and/or LaTex, both of which are built right into the editor, are very easy to use, and the links to the guides are right under the input box, on the left.

hmmm27 said:
The only thing left to say is puhlease use BBcode and/or LaTex, both of which are built right into the editor, are very easy to use, and the links to the guides are right under the input box, on the left.
Being a first time user, OP may not be familiar with these niceties.

Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
Being a first time user, OP may not be familiar with these niceties.
True, just pointing them out : rather new myself - it's great watching what would normally be indecipherable ascii scribbles turn into textbook-ready formulas.

For this example

x= x0 +v0xt + 1/2axt^2
turns into
$$d_t=d_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2$$

Last edited:

What is 1-D motion?

1-D motion refers to motion that occurs in a straight line, also known as one-dimensional motion. This means that an object is moving only in one direction, either forward or backward.

What are some common examples of 1-D motion?

Examples of 1-D motion include a car driving on a straight road, a ball rolling down a ramp, and a person walking in a straight line.

How do you solve 1-D motion problems?

To solve 1-D motion problems, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include velocity, acceleration, and time. You will also need to identify the initial and final positions of the object, as well as any other given variables.

What are some tips for solving 1-D motion problems?

Some tips for solving 1-D motion problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the situation, labeling the given variables, and using units consistently throughout the problem. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the motion and use the correct sign for velocity and acceleration.

Why is understanding 1-D motion important in science?

Understanding 1-D motion is important in science because it helps us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion. Many real-world phenomena can be explained using the principles of 1-D motion, such as the motion of planets and satellites, the flight of airplanes, and the movement of fluids.