Using Kirchhoff's Rules - Calculating Currents

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the currents provided by the batteries and the voltage drop across a 1.2 Ω resistor using the loop rule and junction rule. The conversation also includes a clarification on how to determine potential changes when passing through a resistance in the same direction as the current. The final solution involves setting up two equations with two unknowns using the loop rule for each individual current.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

What currents are provided by the batteries? What is the voltage drop across the 1.2 Ω
resistor?

Homework Equations

V = IR
Junction Rule = sum of current at a junction = 0
Loop Rule = sum of changes in potential around any closed path of a circuit must be 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope what I've drawn is clear enough. I 1 only goes around the small rectangle whereas I 2 encompasses the entire rectangle.

The current provided by the 12 V battery using the loop rule:

12 V + (3.9 Ω)(I1)+(1.2 Ω)(I1) + (9.8 Ω)(I1) = 0

Does that make sense? I'm unsure when it comes to these rules.

Attachments

• diagrambatteries.png
    diagrambatteries.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
When you "walk" around a loop doing a KVL sum, be sure to pay attention to the polarities of the potential changes. If you pass through a resistance in the same direction as the current, does the potential rise or drop? Also, it sounds as though you've specified that I2 also passes through the 3.9 and 9.8 Ohm resistors, so it must also contribute to the total potential change in those resistors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51512&stc=1&d=1349360011.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 567
Okay I think I understand better. If the resistance is in the same direction as the current, that would be considered a voltage drop.

So really, I have two unknowns.

12 V - (3.9 Ω)(I1) - (1.2 Ω)(I1) - (9.8 Ω)(I1) - (3.9 Ω)(I2) - (9.8 Ω)(I2)= 0

So then maybe applying this same loop rule to I2 I would have:

(3.9 Ω)(I2) - (3.9 Ω)(I1) - (6.7 Ω)(I2) - 9V - (9.8 Ω)(I2) - (9.8 Ω)(I1) + 12 V = 0

PeachBanana said:
Okay I think I understand better. If the resistance is in the same direction as the current, that would be considered a voltage drop.

So really, I have two unknowns.

12 V - (3.9 Ω)(I1) - (1.2 Ω)(I1) - (9.8 Ω)(I1) - (3.9 Ω)(I2) - (9.8 Ω)(I2)= 0

So then maybe applying this same loop rule to I2 I would have:

(3.9 Ω)(I2) - (3.9 Ω)(I1) - (6.7 Ω)(I2) - 9V - (9.8 Ω)(I2) - (9.8 Ω)(I1) + 12 V = 0

Yup. Just verify the sign of the first term in the loop 2 equation. Otherwise, nicely done.

Based on the given circuit, there are two batteries providing current: the 12V battery and the 4.9V battery. Using the junction rule, the total current at the junction where the two batteries are connected must be 0. Therefore, the current provided by the 12V battery must be equal to the current provided by the 4.9V battery.

To calculate the current provided by the 12V battery, we can use the loop rule. We can set up a loop starting at the positive terminal of the 12V battery, going through the 3.9Ω resistor, the 1.2Ω resistor, and back to the negative terminal of the 12V battery. The loop rule states that the sum of the changes in potential around any closed path of a circuit must be 0. Therefore, we can write the following equation:

12V + (3.9Ω)(I1) + (1.2Ω)(I1) = 0

Solving for I1, we get a current of approximately 2.24A provided by the 12V battery.

To calculate the voltage drop across the 1.2Ω resistor, we can use Ohm's Law, V = IR. We know the current through the resistor (I1 = 2.24A), so we can plug that in and solve for V:

V = (2.24A)(1.2Ω) = 2.69V

Therefore, the voltage drop across the 1.2Ω resistor is approximately 2.69V.

In summary, the 12V battery provides a current of 2.24A and the voltage drop across the 1.2Ω resistor is 2.69V. It's always important to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the circuit.

1. How do Kirchhoff's Rules help in calculating currents?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are a set of fundamental principles used to analyze electrical circuits. They help in calculating currents by providing a systematic approach to solving complex circuits and ensuring conservation of energy and charge within a circuit.

2. What are Kirchhoff's Rules and how are they applied?

Kirchhoff's Rules consist of two laws: Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. KVL states that the sum of voltages in a closed loop is equal to zero. These rules are applied by setting up equations based on the laws and solving for unknown currents in a circuit.

3. Can Kirchhoff's Rules be used for both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Rules can be applied to both series and parallel circuits. In series circuits, KCL is used to calculate currents, while in parallel circuits, KVL is used to calculate currents. It is important to note that KCL and KVL can be applied to any type of circuit, regardless of its complexity.

4. What are the limitations of using Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules are based on certain assumptions, such as ideal circuit elements and steady-state conditions. This means that they may not be applicable in all real-world situations. Additionally, Kirchhoff's Rules are not suitable for circuits with non-linear elements, such as diodes and transistors.

5. How can I check if I have applied Kirchhoff's Rules correctly?

To check if Kirchhoff's Rules have been applied correctly, you can perform a loop analysis and a nodal analysis. In loop analysis, you start at any point in the circuit and move in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction, making sure to follow the direction of current flow in each element. In nodal analysis, you choose a reference node and assign currents to each branch based on KCL. If the equations derived from these analyses match the equations you have set up using Kirchhoff's Rules, then you have applied them correctly.