1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question relating to Kirchhoff's law

1. May 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the magnitudes of the currents through R1 and R2 in (Figure 1) , assuming that each battery has an internal resistance r = 1.2 Ω .
    Express your answers using two significant figures separated by commas.

2. Relevant equations
    Junction rule: I3 = I1 + I2 (any current going into one junction must come out with the same amount)
    loop rule: The sum of all the potential differences around a complete loop is equal to zero.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please refer to the image I attached.
    First I set up the directions for current flow. I got the equations:

I3 = I1 + I2.
    For the top loop, I got -18*I2 - 22*I1 +9V = 0.

For the bottom loop, I got 6V + 18*I2 = 0. I isolated I2 to get -6/18 = -0.33333.

Then I plugged in I2(-0.33333) into the top loop's equation to isolate I1. I got I1 = 0.6818.

However, the masteringphysics keeps telling me it's wrong. Can anyone help me with this?

*I've randomly tried changing up the signs of the two numbers, which didn't work so I don't know where I went wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So where are I1, I2, and I3, and in what direction? I'd suggest dropping I3 as you only need 2 (and you don't use it anyway)

4. May 31, 2016 #3
    Yes haha I dropped the first equation basically since I3 wasnt needed. I1 i drew to point towards the left from the top loop. As for I2, I drew it pointing towards the right on the middle segment. I3 I drew it point towards the right from the battery on the bottom loop.

Attached Files:

5. May 31, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So how did you work the magic of making I1 not flow through the middle resistor?

6. May 31, 2016 #5
    Sorry, not too sure what you mean. I included 18*I2 for the first loop. Is that not the current going through resistor in the middle?

7. May 31, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Draw a full loop current in each loop. Where do you think I1 goes when it hits the node? Does it just evaporate?

8. Jul 10, 2016 #7

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem asks for the current magnitudes. Magnitudes are never negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted