Question relating to Kirchhoff's law

• Thread starter johnknee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: So -18*I2 should be the current going through resistor R1 and +22*I1 is the current going through resistor R2.
johnknee

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitudes of the currents through R1 and R2 in (Figure 1) , assuming that each battery has an internal resistance r = 1.2 Ω .
Express your answers using two significant figures separated by commas.

Homework Equations

Junction rule: I3 = I1 + I2 (any current going into one junction must come out with the same amount)
loop rule: The sum of all the potential differences around a complete loop is equal to zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please refer to the image I attached.
First I set up the directions for current flow. I got the equations:

I3 = I1 + I2.
For the top loop, I got -18*I2 - 22*I1 +9V = 0.

For the bottom loop, I got 6V + 18*I2 = 0. I isolated I2 to get -6/18 = -0.33333.

Then I plugged in I2(-0.33333) into the top loop's equation to isolate I1. I got I1 = 0.6818.

However, the masteringphysics keeps telling me it's wrong. Can anyone help me with this?

*I've randomly tried changing up the signs of the two numbers, which didn't work so I don't know where I went wrong.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,274
Physics news on Phys.org
So where are I1, I2, and I3, and in what direction? I'd suggest dropping I3 as you only need 2 (and you don't use it anyway)

phinds said:
So where are I1, I2, and I3, and in what direction? I'd suggest dropping I3 as you only need 2 (and you don't use it anyway)
Yes haha I dropped the first equation basically since I3 wasnt needed. I1 i drew to point towards the left from the top loop. As for I2, I drew it pointing towards the right on the middle segment. I3 I drew it point towards the right from the battery on the bottom loop.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 585
So how did you work the magic of making I1 not flow through the middle resistor?

phinds said:
So how did you work the magic of making I1 not flow through the middle resistor?
Sorry, not too sure what you mean. I included 18*I2 for the first loop. Is that not the current going through resistor in the middle?

johnknee said:
Sorry, not too sure what you mean. I included 18*I2 for the first loop. Is that not the current going through resistor in the middle?
Draw a full loop current in each loop. Where do you think I1 goes when it hits the node? Does it just evaporate?

The problem asks for the current magnitudes. Magnitudes are never negative.

What is Kirchhoff's law?

Kirchhoff's law, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are fundamental principles in electrical engineering that describe the behavior of electrical circuits. They are used to calculate the flow of electrical current and voltage in a circuit.

What are the two laws of Kirchhoff's law?

The two laws of Kirchhoff's law are the Kirchhoff's current law and the Kirchhoff's voltage law. The current law states that the sum of currents entering a node in an electrical circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. The voltage law states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop in an electrical circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

How are Kirchhoff's laws used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's laws are used in circuit analysis to determine the current and voltage in different parts of a circuit. They are essential tools in solving complex circuits and designing electrical systems.

What is the difference between Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law?

The Kirchhoff's current law deals with the flow of electrical current in a circuit, while the Kirchhoff's voltage law deals with the potential difference or voltage in a circuit. The current law focuses on nodes or junctions in a circuit, while the voltage law focuses on closed loops in a circuit.

Are Kirchhoff's laws always applicable in every circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws are always applicable in every circuit, regardless of its complexity or type. They are based on fundamental principles of conservation of charge and energy and are universally applicable in all electrical circuits.