1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Lagrange to solve rotating parabolic motion and equilibrium

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a bead of mass m sliding without friction on a wire that is bent in the shape of a parabola and is being spun with constant angular velocity w about its vertical axis. Use cylindrical polar coordinates and let the equation of the parabola be z = kp2. Write down the Lagrangian in terms of p as the generalized coordinate. Find the equation of motion of the bead and determine whether there are positions of equilibrium, that is, values of p at which the bead can remain fixed, without sliding up or down the spinning wire. Discuss the stability of any equilibrium positions you find.

2. Relevant equations

L=E-U
    v1=pw
    v2=dp/dt
    v3=2kp(dp/dt)
    U=mgkp^2
    E=mv^2/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the equation of motion using the lagrangian, which matched the answer in the back of the book. I just don't know how to use Lagrance to find equilibrium, and I've tried several things such as setting d2p/dt2=0 and d2U/dp2=0.

The equation of motion is: (g=accel. due to gravity)

pw2-4k2p(dp/dt)2-2kgp=(d2p/dt2)(1+4k2p2

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2
    If the bead remains fixed, what can be said about the derivatives of its polar radius?

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
    dp/dt=0, d2p/dt2=0

so equil. occurs when w2=2kg, or when p=0. Is that right? And then how can I find which is stable/unstable?

5. Mar 4, 2014 #4
    Have you studied any equilibrium conditions/criteria?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted