Using Lorentz Force to derive V = E/B

In summary: So either ##v_z## is not determined by the equation, or it gets determined by some other means.In summary, the conversation discussed the application of an electric field and a magnetic field on a charged particle with mass m, resulting in equations for the motion of the particle in the x and y directions. The sign convention for the electric field and the significance of the velocity in relation to the applied fields were also addressed. The conversation ended with a clarification about the determination of the velocity in the z direction.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
I am trying to use the Lorentz Force formula to derive v = E/B. What is wrong with my working?
Relevant Equations
##F = q(\mathbf E + \mathbf v \times \mathbf B)##
Suppose the E-field is ##-E_y\hat y##, and B-field is ##B\hat z##. Mass is ##m##.
z
|
|_____x
/
y
##m(\ddot x \hat x + \ddot y \hat y) = q(-E_y \hat y + (v_x \hat x + v_y \hat y) \times B \hat z)##
By grouping terms with ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## together,
##m\ddot x = -qv_yB##
##m\ddot y = q(v_xB - E_y)##

Set ##\ddot x = 0, \ddot y = 0##,
##-v_yB = v_xB - E_y##.

Why don't I get ## v = \frac E B##?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What is significant about the velocity in relation to the applied electric field and magnetic field?

Likes phantomvommand and TSny
phantomvommand said:
Suppose the E-field is ##-E_y\hat y##, and B-field is ##B\hat z##. Mass is ##m##.
It might be better to write the electric field as ##\mathbf E = -E \, \hat y##, rather than ##\mathbf E = -E_y \, \hat y##. The symbol ##E_y## usually denotes the entire coefficient of ##\hat y##.

##m\ddot x = -qv_yB##
##m\ddot y = q(v_xB - E_y)##
Check the signs for the two terms that are proportional to B.

Set ##\ddot x = 0, \ddot y = 0##,
##-v_yB = v_xB - E_y##.

Write two separate equations. One for ##\ddot x = 0## and one for ##\ddot y = 0##. By combining these into one equation, you lost some important information.

In the statement of the problem, I assume you want the force on q to be zero.

Likes phantomvommand and Delta2
TSny said:
It might be better to write the electric field as ##\mathbf E = -E \, \hat y##, rather than ##\mathbf E = -E_y \, \hat y##. The symbol ##E_y## usually denotes the entire coefficient of ##\hat y##.Check the signs for the two terms that are proportional to B.
Write two separate equations. One for ##\ddot x = 0## and one for ##\ddot y = 0##. By combining these into one equation, you lost some important information.

In the statement of the problem, I assume you want the force on q to be zero.
##0 = qv_yB##
Does the above imply ##v_y = 0##?
##0 = qv_xB - qE##
The above implies ##v_x = \frac E B##.
Indeed, I think I am supposed to get ##v_x = \frac E B## instead of ##v = \frac E B##.
I have used ##E## instead of ##E_y##.
This should resolve it, thanks so much!

phantomvommand said:
##0 = qv_yB##
Does the above imply ##v_y = 0##
Yes. (We may assume that neither q nor B is zero.)

##0 = qv_xB - qE##
Check the sign of the first term on the right side of ##0 = qv_xB - qE##

The above implies ##v_x = \frac E B##.
Since E and B are the magnitudes of the fields, they are positive numbers. So, you are getting that ##v_x## is positive. By drawing a sketch and using the right-hand rule for the cross product for the magnetic force, do you expect a positive value of ##v_x##?

Is it possible to deduce ##v_z##?

Likes phantomvommand
I just noticed why there is some confusion with signs.

phantomvommand said:
z
|
|_____x
/
y

You are using a left-handed coordinate system. I'm in the habit of assuming a right-handed system.

So, I think your result for ##v_x## is correct for your coordinate system.

Likes phantomvommand
The problem-statement is incomplete. Presumably this is a simple 'velocity selector' (Wien filter) with ##\vec v, \vec E## and ##\vec B## mutually perpendicular.

In this case you require ##\vec v## to be unchanged by the selector. This means ##\vec F## and ##\vec a## must both be zero. So to make the working neater you really only need to solve ##\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B = 0##.

Without loss of generality, you can choose x, y and z axes such that ##\vec v, \vec E## and ##\vec B## each lie along an axis. The problem is then simple. (Though I may have the wrong end of the stick and you may be deliberately doing it in terms of components as an exercise.)

Likes phantomvommand
TSny said:
I just noticed why there is some confusion with signs.
You are using a left-handed coordinate system. I'm in the habit of assuming a right-handed system.

So, I think your result for ##v_x## is correct for your coordinate system.
I don’t think it’s possible to deduce ##v_z## , is it?

phantomvommand said:
I don’t think it’s possible to deduce ##v_z## , is it?
That's right. The force felt by q is independent of ##v_z##.

Likes phantomvommand

1. What is the Lorentz Force?

The Lorentz Force is a physical phenomenon that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It is named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz who first described it in the late 19th century.

2. How is the Lorentz Force used to derive V = E/B?

The Lorentz Force is used to derive V = E/B by considering the motion of a charged particle in a uniform electric and magnetic field. By equating the Lorentz Force to the centripetal force experienced by the particle, we can derive the equation V = E/B, where V is the velocity of the particle, E is the electric field, and B is the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of V = E/B?

V = E/B is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that relates the velocity of a charged particle to the electric and magnetic fields it experiences. It is used in many applications, such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometers, to manipulate and control the motion of charged particles.

4. Can V = E/B be applied to all charged particles?

Yes, V = E/B can be applied to all charged particles, regardless of their mass. This is because the Lorentz Force and the centripetal force are proportional to the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle does not affect this relationship.

5. Are there any limitations to using V = E/B?

While V = E/B is a useful equation in many applications, it is based on idealized conditions of uniform electric and magnetic fields. In reality, electric and magnetic fields may not be uniform, and other factors such as external forces and particle interactions may also affect the motion of charged particles. Therefore, V = E/B may not accurately describe the behavior of charged particles in all situations.