Using Matrix Multiplication to Obtain Another Matrix

In summary: Now it is up to you to figure out how to transform\pmatrix{x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{y\\x} through a sequence of moves without ever using B.
annpaulveal

Homework Statement

I need to use matrix multiplication of matrices A-D to obtain matrix E. I also need to set a equal to some value that would allow me to perform this multiplication.

Homework Equations

The matrixes I need to multiply:
A = [1, 1; 0, 1]
B = [1, 0; 1, 1]
C = [a, 0; 0, 1]
D = [1, 0; 0, a]

By multiplying the above matrices in some order, I need to obtain the following matrix:

E = [0, 1; 1, 0]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried setting a = 0, 1, -1, 2, and -2 (since those seemed like the most logical choices) and tried all combinations of multiplication. For the life of me, I can't figure out the order the multiplication should go in and which of the four matrices to multiply together to get matrix E. There has to be a simpler way of approaching the problem, right? I just need some help getting onto the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that ##CD = DC = aI## (i.e., the scalar ##a## times the identity matrix), and ##AB(aI) = A(aI)B = (aI)AB##. None of these will work, because ##AB## is not a multiple of ##E##. Similarly, ##BA## is not a multiple of ##E##. So you know ##C## and ##D## can't be adjacent.

Maybe you can make some other observations which will help you reduce the possibilities further. Anything has to be better than just randomly trying different arrangements, because there are a lot of them (##4! = 24##).

Another observation is that ##E^2 = I##, not sure if that will be helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, but I'm still struggling tremendously. I understand that a will most likely be 0 or -1 (or maybe 1, but that would make C and D the same identity matrix). Is there any other guidance I could get?

annpaulveal said:
Thanks for your help, but I'm still struggling tremendously. I understand that a will most likely be 0 or -1 (or maybe 1, but that would make C and D the same identity matrix). Is there any other guidance I could get?

It might be easier to look at the transformations the matrices induce. If
[tex] x= \pmatrix{x_1\\x_2}[/tex] then
[tex] A: x \longrightarrow \pmatrix{x_1+x_2\\x_2}\\
B: x \longrightarrow \pmatrix{x_1\\x_1+x_2}\\
C: x \longrightarrow \pmatrix{ax_1\\x_2}\\
D: x \longrightarrow \pmatrix{x_1\\ax_2}
[/tex] and you want to find a sequences of such transformations (and a value of 'a') that gives
[tex] \pmatrix{x_1\\x_2} \: \longrightarrow \pmatrix{x_2\\x_1}[/tex]

Last edited:
You can use determinants to find the possible value(s) for ##a##.

Sorry, I still haven't been able to make any progress at all. Thanks anyway.

annpaulveal said:
Sorry, I still haven't been able to make any progress at all. Thanks anyway.
Not even in finding the possible value(s) for ##a##? Did you try taking determinants of both sides as I suggested? The answer might surprise you: ##a## can't even be a real number, assuming I did the calculation correctly.

I haven't been taught how to use determinants like you said, and it wouldn't be possible for a to be an imaginary number for this solution. If I wasn't clear, I have to figure out some kind of combination of multiplying matrixes A-D in order to get E as the result. First, I have to figure out what a should be. So, for example, a solution would be (A*B)*(C*D), or some similar combination.

I've tried everything and I've been working on this for hours. I just want to cry.

I don't think a solution exists. Here is how you use determinants to find ##a##. Regardless of the order in which you multiply ##A##, ##B##, ##C##, and ##D##, the resulting product will have the same determinant, namely ##\det(A)\det(B)\det(C)\det(D)##, where for a general matrix ##[a\textrm{ }b; c\textrm{ }d]##, the determinant is ##ad - bc##. Using this formula, we get ##\det(A) = \det(B) = 1##, ##\det(C) = \det(D) = a##, and ##\det(E) = -1##. As ##\det(A)\det(B)\det(C)\det(D) = \det(E)##, we have ##a^2 = -1##, so ##a = i## or ##a = -i##.

Out of curiosity, I wrote a brute-force Matlab script which computes the products of all 24 possible permutations, assuming either ##a = i## or ##a = -i##. No permutation even resulted in a real-valued matrix, let alone ##E##. So either I made a coding error or there is no solution.

annpaulveal said:

Homework Statement

I need to use matrix multiplication of matrices A-D to obtain matrix E. I also need to set a equal to some value that would allow me to perform this multiplication.

Homework Equations

The matrixes I need to multiply:
A = [1, 1; 0, 1]
B = [1, 0; 1, 1]
C = [a, 0; 0, 1]
D = [1, 0; 0, a]

By multiplying the above matrices in some order, I need to obtain the following matrix:

E = [0, 1; 1, 0]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried setting a = 0, 1, -1, 2, and -2 (since those seemed like the most logical choices) and tried all combinations of multiplication. For the life of me, I can't figure out the order the multiplication should go in and which of the four matrices to multiply together to get matrix E. There has to be a simpler way of approaching the problem, right? I just need some help getting onto the right path.

You can do it, but you need more than 4 multiplications. Recall how the matrices transform vectors:
[tex] A:\pmatrix{x\\y}\rightarrow\pmatrix{x+y\\y}\\
B: \pmatrix{x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{x\\x+y}\\
C: \pmatrix{x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{ax\\y}\\
D: \pmatrix{x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{x\\ay}
[/tex]
If we set ##a = -1## we can transform
[tex]\pmatrix{x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{y\\x} [/tex]
through a sequence of such moves:
[tex] \pmatrix{x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{-x\\y} \rightarrow \pmatrix{-x\\y-x}
\rightarrow \pmatrix{x\\y-x}
\rightarrow \pmatrix{y\\y-x} \rightarrow \pmatrix{-y\\y-x} \rightarrow \pmatrix{-y\\-x}
\rightarrow \pmatrix{y\\-x} \rightarrow \pmatrix{y\\x}.[/tex]

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation where two matrices are multiplied together to create a new matrix. It is a common tool in linear algebra and is used in various applications such as computer graphics, physics, and economics.

2. How do you perform matrix multiplication?

To perform matrix multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, the product matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. The product of two matrices is found by multiplying the elements in each row of the first matrix by the corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix and adding the products.

3. Can you multiply any two matrices together?

No, matrix multiplication is only defined for matrices where the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. If this condition is not met, the matrices cannot be multiplied together.

4. What is the significance of using matrix multiplication to obtain another matrix?

Using matrix multiplication to obtain another matrix allows us to efficiently perform operations such as scaling, rotation, and translation on geometric objects. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in various mathematical models.

5. Are there any special properties or rules for matrix multiplication?

Yes, there are several properties and rules for matrix multiplication, such as the commutative property (where the order of multiplication does not matter), the distributive property, and the associative property. Additionally, the identity matrix serves as the multiplicative identity for matrix multiplication, similar to how the number 1 serves as the multiplicative identity for regular multiplication.