Using Newton's Laws - A problem involving 3 masses and an incline

In summary, the problem involves a system with an incline and three masses. The masses are connected by strings and pulleys, and the tabletop is rough with a coefficient of kinetic friction. The goal is to calculate the tension in each string and the acceleration of the system. The poster has divided the system into two individual systems and attempted to calculate the tensions and acceleration for each, but has made errors in the calculations. A new equation has been proposed that accounts for all three masses and the tension in both strings. The final result is an acceleration of 1.19 m/s^2 towards the 8.0 kg mass.
RslM
This is my first time posting. I see there is a protocol for making proper posts, so I am sorry if I make any errors.

Homework Statement

I have a problem involving a system with an incline and three masses. A picture of the system is in the attachment labeled 15.1. I am to calculate the tension in each string and the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea for solving this problem and would like to know if I'm on the correct track. I divided the system up into two individual systems seen in attachments 15.2 and 15.3. My reasoning is that I should be able to calculate the first string tension (T1) in system one and then calculate the second string tension (T2) in system two. I would then use the difference between T1 and T2 to derive a net force on the entire system. With a net force I could then calculate the acceleration of the system as a whole.

Attachments

• 15.1.jpg
    15.1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 912
  • 15.2.jpg
    15.2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 918
  • 15.3.jpg
    15.3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 861
Physics news on Phys.org
RslM said:
This is my first time posting. I see there is a protocol for making proper posts, so I am sorry if I make any errors.

Homework Statement

I have a problem involving a system with an incline and three masses. A picture of the system is in the attachment labeled 15.1. I am to calculate the tension in each string and the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea for solving this problem and would like to know if I'm on the correct track. I divided the system up into two individual systems seen in attachments 15.2 and 15.3. My reasoning is that I should be able to calculate the first string tension (T1) in system one and then calculate the second string tension (T2) in system two. I would then use the difference between T1 and T2 to derive a net force on the entire system. With a net force I could then calculate the acceleration of the system as a whole.

Welcome to the PF. Your first post is exemplary! :smile:

Your approach may well work, but I'd be inclined to draw 3 FBDs (one for each mass), and solve the resulting equations simultaneously.

What's the coefficient of friction between mass 2 and the inclined surface?

I believe that you'll have difficulty finding the individual tensions by your method, since those tensions are going to depend upon the net acceleration of the system which, in turn, depends upon all three masses.

Calculations

I'm sorry, I made an error with attachment 15.3 as I forgot to add the force vector T1 to my diagram. I've corrected it in attachment 15.4. Attachment 15.5 shows how I've designated the masses and the two string tensions.

The problem states:

Three objects are connected on an inclined table as shown in the diagram (Attachment 15.1). The objects have masses 8.0 kg, 4.0 kg and 2.0 kg as shown, and the pulleys are frictionless. The tabletop is rough, with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.47, and makes an angle of 20.0° with the horizontal.

My calculations are as follows:

m1 = 8.0 kg, m2 = 4.0 kg, m3 = 2.0 kg, uk = 0.47, θ = 20 degrees

System 1:

m2g = Fg2 =(4.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 39.2 N
Fg2x = (39.2 N)(sin(20)) = 13.4 N
Fg2y = (39.2 N)(cos(20)) = 36.84 N

Fg2y = Fn = 36.84 N

Ffr = ukFn = (0.47)(36.84N) = 17.31 N

m1g = (8.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 78.4 N

Fnet = ma

m1g - T1 = m1a

T1 = m1g - m1a

T1 - Ffr - Fg2x = m2a

T1 = m2a + Ffr + Fg2x

m1g - m1a = m2a + Ffr + Fg2x

m1g - Ffr - Fg2x = m2a + m1a

(m1g - Ffr - Fg2x) / (m2 + m1) = a

(78.4 N - 17.31 N - 13.4 N) / (4.0 kg + 8.0 kg) = 3.97 m/s^2

T1 = m1g - m1a

m1a = (8.0 kg)(3.97 m/s^2) = 31.76 N

T1 = 78.4 N - 31.76N = 46.64 N

T1 = 46.64 N

System 2

m3g = (2.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 19.6 N

Ffr = 17.31 N (As calculated in system 1)

T1 + Ffr - Fg2x - T2 = m2a

T2 = T1 + Ffr - Fg2x - m2a

m3g - T2 = m3a

T2 = m3g - m3a

m3g - m3a = T1 + Ffr - Fg2x - m2a

(m3g - T1 - Ffr + Fg2x) / (m3 + m2) = a

(19.6 N - 46.64 N - 17.31 N + 13.4 N) / (2.0 kg + 4.0 kg) = -5.16 m/s^2

T2 = m3g - m3a

T2 = 19.6 N - (-10.32 N)

T2 = 29.92 N

Net Force : T1 - T2

46.64 N - 29.92 N = 16.72 N

Mass of entire system: m1 + m2 + m3

8.0 kg + 4.0 kg + 2.0 kg = 14 kg = M

Acceleration of system:

a = Fnet / M

a = 16.72 N / 14 kg =1.19 m/s^2

a = 1.19 m/s^2 towards the 8.0 kg mass.

Nope. Doesn't work. You're system 1 goes off the rails when you write:

T1 - Ffr - Fg2x = m2a

This equation cannot be true since it does not include the effect of T2 on the acceleration of m2. As a result your value for T1 is incorrect. That error propagates through the subsequent calculations.

With this attempt, I've determined a new equation for m2 which accounts for both T1 and T2 and have incorporated all three masses into determining an acceleration for the entire system.

m2g = Fg2 =(4.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 39.2 N
Fg2x = (39.2 N)(sin(20)) = 13.4 N
Fg2y = (39.2 N)(cos(20)) = 36.84 N

Fg2y = Fn = 36.84 N

Ffr = ukFn = (0.47)(36.84N) = 17.31 N

m1g = (8.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 78.4 N

T1 -T2 - Ffr - Fg2x = m2a

m1g - T1 = m1a

T1 = m1g - m1a

T2 -m3g = m3a

T2 = m3g + m3a

(m1g - m1a) - (m3g + m3a) - Ffr - Fg2x = m2a

m1g - m1a - m3g - m3a - Ffr - Fg2x = m2a

((m1 - m3)g - Ffr - Fg2x) / (m1 + m2 + m3) = a

(6 kg (9.8 m/s^2)) - 17.296 N - 13.41 N / 14 kg = 2.0 m/s^2

Acceleration of the system: 2.0 m/s^2 towards the 8.0 kg mass.

Your acceleration value looks good :approve:

Awesome! I'm very glad.

Thank you both for the assistance and for the welcome to this forum. Much obliged. :)

Im confused with the calculation for T1:

"m1g - T1 = m1a

T1 = m1g - m1a"

why in this case is the tension subtracted from the gravity force and not vice versa? Thanks!

also, how do you calculate which direction the system is moving?

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How can Newton's Laws be applied to a problem involving 3 masses and an incline?

In this scenario, Newton's second law can be used to calculate the acceleration of each mass, given the net force acting on them. The forces to consider are the force of gravity, the normal force, and the force of friction. The direction of these forces will depend on the orientation of the incline. Once the accelerations are calculated, they can be used to determine the motion of the masses using kinematic equations.

3. What is the role of gravity in this problem?

Gravity plays a major role in this problem as it is the force that is responsible for the acceleration of the masses down the incline. The force of gravity is proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth). Therefore, the masses on the incline will experience different forces of gravity depending on their mass.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the problem?

The angle of the incline affects the problem by changing the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the masses. The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the masses, and the higher the potential for acceleration. The angle of the incline also affects the normal force and the force of friction, both of which are important in determining the overall motion of the masses.

5. What assumptions are made when using Newton's Laws in this problem?

One assumption is that the incline is frictionless, meaning there is no resistance to the motion of the masses. This simplifies the problem and allows for easier calculation of forces and accelerations. Another assumption is that the masses are point masses, meaning they have no physical size and can be represented as single points. This allows for the simplification of calculations and does not affect the overall motion of the masses.