Using Newton's laws to find an expression for the angle of inclination

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
taotao
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use Netwon's laws to find an expression for the angle of incilination theta at which the refrigerator starts to slide. Express your answer in terms of possible g, Us, Uk and m.


Homework Equations



Fnet=ma
Ff=UFn

The Attempt at a Solution



I attached my attempt at the solution, I would like to know if I did it properly or made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks :)
 
Attachments
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 580
Physics news on Phys.org
You lost a cosine (or just never included it). See if you can figure out where. That's the only thing I see.
 
taotao said:

Homework Statement



Use Netwon's laws to find an expression for the angle of incilination theta at which the refrigerator starts to slide. Express your answer in terms of possible g, Us, Uk and m.


Homework Equations



Fnet=ma
Ff=UFn

The Attempt at a Solution



I attached my attempt at the solution, I would like to know if I did it properly or made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks :)
The friction force is ## \mu_s N ## where N is the normal force. The normal force here is ## not ## mg. Do you see why?
 
On the third line: Fg x sin theta - Us x mg x cos theta? =ma

The cosine should be there to account for the magnitude of the normal force right?
 
taotao said:
On the third line: Fg x sin theta - Us x mg x cos theta? =ma

The cosine should be there to account for the magnitude of the normal force right?
That's correct!
 
For my final answer I get: theta = a/g + mu_s*cos theta
Is there any way to simplify that further?
 
taotao said:
For my final answer I get: theta = a/g + mu_s*cos theta
Is there any way to simplify that further?

I don't see how you get a ## \theta ## alone, outside a trig function.

Also, you are considering the case when it is just about to start sliding. So what is the acceleration then?