1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using operators and finding expectation value

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The expectation value of the time derivative of an arbitrary quantum operator [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is given by the expression:

d[itex]\langle[/itex][itex]\hat{O}[/itex][itex]\rangle[/itex]/dt[itex]\equiv[/itex][itex]\langle[/itex]d[itex]\hat{O}[/itex]/dt[itex]\rangle[/itex]=[itex]\langle[/itex]∂[itex]\hat{O}[/itex]/∂t[itex]\rangle[/itex]+i/hbar[itex]\langle[/itex][itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{H}[/itex],[itex]\hat{O}[/itex][itex]][/itex][itex]\rangle[/itex]​

Obtain an expression for [itex]\langle[/itex]d[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x/dt+d[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y/dt[itex]\rangle[/itex] where [itex]\hat{H}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{H}[/itex]00Bz[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z/hbar

2. Relevant equations

[itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y[itex]][/itex]=i*hbar[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z
    [itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z[itex]][/itex]=i*hbar[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x
    [itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x[itex]][/itex]=i*hbar[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y

[itex][[/itex]A,B[itex]][/itex]=AB-BA

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\langle[/itex]d[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x/dt+d[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y/dt[itex]\rangle[/itex]=d[itex]\langle[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x+[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y[itex]\rangle[/itex]
    =[itex]\frac{1}{ih}[/itex] d[itex]\langle[/itex][itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z[itex]][/itex]+[itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x[itex]][/itex][itex]\rangle[/itex]/dt
    =[itex]\frac{1}{ih}[/itex][itex]\langle[/itex] ∂[itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z[itex]][/itex]+[itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x[itex]][/itex]/∂t[itex]\rangle[/itex]+[itex]\frac{i}{hbar}[/itex][itex]\langle[/itex][itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{H}[/itex],[itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z[itex]][/itex]+[itex][[/itex][itex]\hat{L}[/itex]z,[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x[itex]][/itex][itex]][/itex][itex]\rangle[/itex]

I'm not sure how to continue on from this

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2
    Just calculate the commutators [itex] [L_x, H] [/itex] and [itex] [L_y, H] [/itex]? You know that H0 should commute with all L's (why?), and the commutator with the extra term is easy to calculate.

4. Aug 30, 2013 #3
    I calculated the commutators [itex] [L_x, H] [/itex] and [itex] [L_y, H] [/itex] but I don't see how this helps me answer the question. I also can't figured out why H0 should commute with all L's.

Also [itex]\hat{H}[/itex]0=-hbar2/2mr2 [itex]\{[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂r}[/itex](r2[itex]\frac{∂}{∂r}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{1}{sinθ}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂θ}[/itex](sinθ[itex]\frac{∂}{∂θ}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{1}{sin squared θ}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂ squared}{∂\phi squared}[/itex][itex]\}[/itex]+V(r)

where the angular-dependent part of the Hamiltonian corresponds to the total angular momentum operator [itex]\hat{L}[/itex]2

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  5. Aug 31, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You were given that
    $$\bigg\langle \frac{d\hat{O}}{dt} \bigg\rangle = \bigg\langle \frac{\partial \hat{O}}{\partial t} \bigg\rangle + \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle [\hat{H},\hat{O}] \rangle.$$ What do you get if you let ##\hat{O} = \hat{L}_x##?

You should be able to prove that ##\hat{L}_i## commutes with ##\hat{L}^2## using the property [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B and the commutation relations you listed above.

6. Aug 31, 2013 #5
    But shouldn't I substitute [itex]\hat{O}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x+[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y instead?

Oh I understand now. Thanks

7. Aug 31, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You asked why you want to calculate ##[\hat{H},\hat{L}_i]##. Do you see why?

8. Aug 31, 2013 #7
    Yh I do. My final answer is

[itex]\langle[/itex]d[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x/dt+d[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y/dt[itex]\rangle[/itex]=[itex]\langle[/itex]∂([itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x+[itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y)/∂t[itex]\rangle[/itex]+[itex]\frac{i}{hbar}[/itex][itex]\langle[/itex]iμ0Bz([itex]\hat{L}[/itex]y - [itex]\hat{L}[/itex]x)[itex]\rangle[/itex]

Could I further simplify this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted