1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using partial derivatives to find a maximum

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1
    Okay, I have a question that I am not good enough at multivariable calculus yet to answer myself.

Basically, say I have the following inequality:

a < sin(xy)/y < b

with a < b. How can I find out what the maximum value of y is on the interval 0 < y < 1 such that the above inequality holds for some x > 0?

That is, what is the biggest value of y between 0 and 1, such that for some x > 0, sin(xy)/y is between two limits a and b with a < b?

Is this even possible...?

Any information, hints, outright answers, scathing insults etc. would be appreciated! Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given complete control of x, xy can be whatever you want. So imagine instead xy = z, we can assume z is completely independent of y (since we can pick x to satisfy what we need). So you really have:

a<sin(z)/y<b

Keeping in mind that sin(z) is between 0 and 1, can you work from there?

4. Aug 7, 2006 #3
    Hopefully this will be enough to solve your problem:

Theorem: If a function has local extrema at a point, and the first partial derivatives of the function exist at that point, then the first derivatives of the function vanish at that point.

Theorem: For every function f(x, y), define D(a, b) = [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} - \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y} \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}[/tex] everywhere the first partial derivatives vanish and the second partial derivatives exist.

Then, if D(a, b) < 0, then (a, b) is a saddle point of f
    If D(a, b) > 0, and the second derivatives are positive, then (a, b) is a local minimum.
    If D(a, b) > 0, and the second derivatives are negative, then (a, b) is a local maximum.
    If D(a, b) = 0, then any of saddle point, local maximum or minimum, or no extrema could occur at that point - no new information is known.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?