Using PC SPIM and converting hex and binary

• Thread starter TBonety
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary pc
In summary, the person is new to the forums and needs help converting MIPS instructions into hex and binary. They have chosen to use the addi instruction and have provided two values, 0x214a0001 and 0x0040004c, but are unsure of how to approach the task. They mention that PCSpim is now called QtSpim.
TBonety
Hi there, new to the forums, but in need of assistance. I have been looking around and have found some helpful stuff on this site. I found myself visiting this site more then once, so i decided to make an account. Anyways my problem is I have to choose any two mips instructions from this code i wrote and convert them into hex and binary. My problem is I am kinda stuck.
I have chosen to do for one of my lines a simple addi function. It is:

addi $t2,$t2,1: to simply add one to my value stored in $t2.

in my pcspim i have some values and am unclear as what they do and how i should approach starting this.

0x214a0001

0x0040004c

My apologies if this is a very "newb" question but if i could just get a pointer on how to start this i would very much appreciate it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not a bad question. The first number, 0x214a0001, is the machine code for the addi (add immediate) instruction.
The second number is the address in the code segment for that instruction.

BTW, PCSpim is now called QtSpim.

Last edited:

1. What is PC SPIM and how is it used for converting hex and binary?

PC SPIM is a simulator used for running and debugging programs written in the MIPS assembly language. It can also be used for converting between hex and binary numbers. In order to convert hex and binary, you can use the "Dump Memory" function in the "File" menu. This will display the contents of the memory in both hex and binary format.

2. Can PC SPIM convert decimal numbers to hex and binary?

No, PC SPIM is specifically designed for converting between hex and binary numbers. To convert decimal numbers to hex or binary, you can use a calculator or an online converter.

3. Is there a limit to the size of numbers that can be converted using PC SPIM?

Yes, PC SPIM is limited to 32-bit numbers. This means that the largest binary number that can be converted is 11111111111111111111111111111111 (4294967295 in decimal) and the largest hexadecimal number is FFFFFFFF.

4. Can PC SPIM convert numbers with floating point values?

No, PC SPIM does not support floating point numbers. It can only convert integers between 0 and 4294967295 (or FFFFFFFF in hexadecimal).

5. How accurate is the conversion done by PC SPIM?

The conversion done by PC SPIM is accurate as it follows the standard binary and hexadecimal conversion rules. However, it is always recommended to double check the results with a calculator or another tool to ensure accuracy.