Using Quantum Entanglement to know the future?

In summary: Thanks!In summary, two pairs of photons are entangled, and if one is accelerated close to the speed of light, then the other can be extracted into the future. However, this process breaks the entanglement between the photons, and any interaction with the environment also breaks the entangled state.
kinkarso
Hi there,

Is it possible to accelerate one of a pair of photons (while under quantum entanglement) close to the speed of light, and communicate information from the future?

For example, two pairs of entangled photons with pre-determined states (using projection measurement) have one of their members accelerated at close to the speed of light, then returned - into the relative future. In that future, a coin is flipped, and we change one or both of the photons based on the result of the coin flip. In the present, would we then derive which of the two pairs were changed and therefore know if the coin flip that is yet to happen, will be heads or tails?

Please excuse the dumb question.

Thanks!
Donny

Physics news on Phys.org
kinkarso said:
Is it possible to accelerate one of a pair of photons (while under quantum entanglement) close to the speed of light, and communicate information from the future?

No.

Sending information into the past poses severe difficulties for causality.

Thanks
Bill

no.

You can't accelerate one of a pair and not break entanglement. Any interaction with the environment breaks entanglement. Anyway, photons don't accelerate...they always move at 'c'.

Ah I see. Got a 'no' as well from a professor I emailed, but just trying to wrap my brain around why. What laws of physics are being broken?

Naty1 said:
no.

You can't accelerate one of a pair and not break entanglement. Any interaction with the environment breaks entanglement. Anyway, photons don't accelerate...they always move at 'c'.

Oh wow I forgot about that, thanks for addressing my dumb question :)

kinkarso said:
For example, two pairs of entangled photons with pre-determined states...

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Donny!

If a pair of photons has a predetermined state, they will NOT be entangled on that basis. A pair of photons can be entangled on one basis (say momentum) but not on another (say polarization).

Welcome to the forum kinkarso

In addition to what's mentioned in the posts above:

We cannot have a predetermined state either.

Also you cannot force a change (towards a particular result) in one or both the photons.

Naty1 said:
Any interaction with the environment breaks entanglement.

Not to nitpick, but intending to clarify for readers not familiar with the point :smile: :

It is not always clear what kinds of interactions break entanglement. For example, a photon traveling through fiber cable generally does not decohere. Similarly, a photon passing through a wave plate does not cease to be entangled. If both output paths of a beamsplitter are suitably re-combined, a input photon will remain polarization entangled with its partner.

In some ways, it comes back to the definition of "interaction".

For example, a photon traveling through fiber cable generally does not decohere.

Did not even supect that...what's the reasoning for what I presume is an observed phenomena??

Naty1 said:
Did not even supect that...what's the reasoning for what I presume is an observed phenomena??

I am not even sure you can make a good definition without it being circular, such as: "An interaction in which no state reduction occurs."

But I know it when I see it. :biggrin:

kinkarso said:
Hi there,

communicate information from the future?

Thanks!
Donny

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4053118&postcount=32

audioloop said:
there are Timlike Entanglement , i.e. entanglements in time.

Physical Review A 85, 012306 (2012)
...entangled between timelike separated regions of spacetime...
...non-separability across time...

----
and an experiment proposed:

Physical Review Letters 109, 033602 (2012)
...We propose a realistic circuit QED experiment to test the extraction of past-future vacuum entanglement to a pair of superconducting qubits...
...We show that this experiment can be realized with current technology and discuss its utility as a possible implementation of a quantum memory...

Of-course we can achieve FLT condition to get a signal back in time via quantum entanglement

Athul Prem said:
Of-course we can achieve FLT condition to get a signal back in time via quantum entanglement

I don't know why you raised such an old thread - but entanglement doesn't allow a signal to be sent FTL or back in time. If you could it would violate causality and cause all sorts of problems.

Thanks
Bill

kinkarso said:
into the relative future. In that future, a coin is flipped, and we change one or both of the photons based on the result of the coin flip. In the present, would we then derive which of the two pairs were changed and therefore know if the coin flip that is yet to happen, will be heads or tails?

Isn't this the same as the EPRG paradox? You can't even tell IF the other entangled particle has already been measured, otherwise that would be the binary system of FTL communication instead of spin values.

1. How does quantum entanglement allow us to know the future?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle will affect the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. By measuring one entangled particle, we can determine the state of the other, even if it is in a different location. This allows us to potentially predict the future state of the entangled particle.

2. Is it possible to use quantum entanglement to know all aspects of the future?

No, it is not possible to use quantum entanglement to know all aspects of the future. While quantum entanglement can provide information about the state of a particle, it cannot predict future events or outcomes with certainty. The future is still subject to chance and probability, even with the use of quantum entanglement.

3. Can quantum entanglement be used to change the future?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used to change the future. It can only provide information about the state of a particle at a specific point in time. The future is constantly changing and cannot be altered by the use of quantum entanglement.

4. Are there any ethical concerns with using quantum entanglement to know the future?

Currently, there are no known ethical concerns with using quantum entanglement to know the future. However, as technology continues to advance and our understanding of quantum mechanics grows, it is important to consider the potential implications and ethical considerations of using this technology in the future.

5. How is quantum entanglement being used in practical applications?

Quantum entanglement is being used in various practical applications, such as quantum cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum communication. It has also been used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of quantum mechanics and to test theories about the nature of reality. However, the use of quantum entanglement to predict the future is still a topic of research and has not yet been applied in practical applications.