Using Raoult's law and Dalton's law

• Thread starter softie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the problem is that Sara is not sure how to find the real partial pressure of A in a gas/liquid mixture. She is considering using Raoult's Law and Dalton's Law, but she is not sure if they are both giving the same results.
softie
Hi there!

I'm having a little problem here and hopefully someone here can help.
I am studying for a Physical Chemistry exam and there is an exercise here I just can't solve. It asks to find the ideal and the real parcial pressure of A, given xA, yA and pt ---- xA being the molar fraction of A in the liquid phase and yA the molar fraction of A in the gaseous phase.
I was thinking of using Raoult's law and Dalton's law, but don't they both give the ideal values of the partial pressure?? How can I get the real values?

Thanks! :)
sara

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the question asks for a better approximation, it's referring to activity calculations.

thank you!

yes, that was my doubt, but it's not how it was supposed to be answered. the raoult law is supposed to give us the real partial pressure, and the dalton law the ideal one, because we are considering NPT conditions.

thanks anyway!

p.s.: I did 18.2 / 20 on that exam. :)

softie said:
yes, that was my doubt, but it's not how it was supposed to be answered. the raoult law is supposed to give us the real partial pressure, and the dalton law the ideal one, because we are considering NPT conditions.
No, that's not entirely correct. However, I can't tell you what to do with the question unless you post the original question EXACTLY as it appears in the exercise (and it doesn't hurt to include the book and chapter where this problem comes from). Your paraphrasing of it makes it very ambiguous.

But I can say this : Raoult's Law applies almost only to ideal solutions. For real solutions that deviate from ideality, you can still use Raoult's Law for the dominant component (ie: solvent) of a dilute solution. But for the solute in a non-ideal solution, you must use Henry's Law (and replace the vapor pressure of pure A with the Henry's Law constant).

1. What is Raoult's law?

Raoult's law states that the partial vapor pressure of a component in a solution is directly proportional to its mole fraction in the solution.

2. How is Raoult's law used?

Raoult's law is used to calculate the vapor pressure of a component in a solution, assuming ideal behavior and known concentrations of the components.

3. What is Dalton's law?

Dalton's law states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each gas in the mixture.

4. How is Dalton's law used?

Dalton's law is used to calculate the partial pressure of each gas in a mixture, assuming ideal behavior and known total pressure and mole fractions of the gases.

5. Can Raoult's law and Dalton's law be used together?

Yes, Raoult's law and Dalton's law can be used together to calculate the vapor pressure of a component in a gas mixture, assuming ideal behavior and known concentrations of the components.