Deviation from Raoult's Law--Smith Van Ness Abbott

• Thread starter swmmr1928
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deviation
In summary, the book discusses the use of Raoult's Law to represent vapor-liquid equilibrium in binary systems. The liquid phase is expected to exhibit deviations from Raoult's Law, while the vapor phase may also show non-ideal behavior. Real VLE data can be compared to the predictions of Raoult's Law to identify these deviations.
swmmr1928
The book I am reading, Smith Van Ness Abbott has several figures of Pressure vs Composition for Vapor Liquid Equilibrium of a Binary system. It often includes a dashed straight line to represent Raoult's Law.

What confuses me is that only the liquid phase ( P-x1 ) is said to exhibit deviations from the Raoult's Law-the dashed line. I have uploaded two pictures. In Figure 10.11, P-x1 is a straight line, characteristic of Raoult's Law. However, P-y1 is not a straight line.

Figure 12.5 is a graph of real VLE behavior. The P-x1 curve deviates from the dashed line, as does the P-y1 curve, which also was nonlinear in Raoult's Law system. From the book's description, only the liquid phase deviates from Raoult's law. And in a system obeying Raoult's Law, only the liquid phase has a linear P-x1 behavior. Am I understanding this correctly?

Attachments

• Figure showing straight line liquid phase.jpg
    Figure showing straight line liquid phase.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Figure showing liquid phase deviation.jpg
    Figure showing liquid phase deviation.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
A conditional "yes." You might try applying Raoult's law without a condensed phase.

swmmr1928 said:
The book I am reading, Smith Van Ness Abbott has several figures of Pressure vs Composition for Vapor Liquid Equilibrium of a Binary system. It often includes a dashed straight line to represent Raoult's Law.

What confuses me is that only the liquid phase ( P-x1 ) is said to exhibit deviations from the Raoult's Law-the dashed line. I have uploaded two pictures. In Figure 10.11, P-x1 is a straight line, characteristic of Raoult's Law. However, P-y1 is not a straight line.
Your interpretation is not correct. In chapter 10, Smith and Van Ness make it clear that the system being considered obeys Raoult's law. Nowhere do they indicate that P-x "exhibits deviations from Raoult's Law" (whatever that means). For a system that obeys Raoult's law, a line of P (total pressure) vs x is a straight line at constant temperature. In the book, they give the simple algebra that leads to this result. Raoult's law is a combination thing, and there is no such thing as Raoult's law for a liquid alone.
Figure 12.5 is a graph of real VLE behavior. The P-x1 curve deviates from the dashed line, as does the P-y1 curve, which also was nonlinear in Raoult's Law system.
This is because of non-idealities in the liquid phase.
From the book's description, only the liquid phase deviates from Raoult's law.
There can also be non-idealities in the vapor phase causing deviations from Raoult's law, but maybe, for the case being considered (e.g., low pressure), the dominant factor is the liquid phase.

And in a system obeying Raoult's Law, only the liquid phase has a linear P-x1 behavior.
For constant temperature only.

Chet

I agree that Chapter 10 does not describe any examples with deviations from Raoult's Law. I was not clear in my first post.

Raoult's Law for Binary system at Constant Temperature
[itex]

P_{t}(x)=P_{2}^{sat}+(P_{1}^{sat}-P_{2}^{sat})x_{1}
\\
P_{t}(y)=\frac{1}{y_{1}/P_{1}^{sat}+y_{2}/P_{2}^{sat}}

[/itex]

I get it. Quite simply, Raoult's Law (at constant Temperature) is linear P-x1 but nonlinear for P-y1. That means that P-x1 deviations from Raoult's Law are immediately evident, but P-y1 are not. When viewing real VLE data, could the P-y1 curve from Raoult's Law also be plotted to see those deviations?

swmmr1928 said:
I agree that Chapter 10 does not describe any examples with deviations from Raoult's Law. I was not clear in my first post.

Raoult's Law for Binary system at Constant Temperature
[itex]

P_{t}(x)=P_{2}^{sat}+(P_{1}^{sat}-P_{2}^{sat})x_{1}
\\
P_{t}(y)=\frac{1}{y_{1}/P_{1}^{sat}+y_{2}/P_{2}^{sat}}

[/itex]

I get it. Quite simply, Raoult's Law (at constant Temperature) is linear P-x1 but nonlinear for P-y1. That means that P-x1 deviations from Raoult's Law are immediately evident, but P-y1 are not. When viewing real VLE data, could the P-y1 curve from Raoult's Law also be plotted to see those deviations?
Sure.

Related to Deviation from Raoult's Law--Smith Van Ness Abbott

What is the concept of Deviation from Raoult's Law?

Deviation from Raoult's Law refers to the phenomenon where the observed behavior of a solution does not follow the predictions made by Raoult's Law, which states that the vapor pressure of a solution is directly proportional to the mole fraction of the solvent in the solution.

What is the cause of Deviation from Raoult's Law?

Deviation from Raoult's Law can be caused by a variety of factors, including the presence of non-ideal interactions between solute and solvent molecules, differences in molecular size or shape, and the formation of intermolecular bonds between solute and solvent molecules.

How is Deviation from Raoult's Law quantitatively measured?

Deviation from Raoult's Law can be quantitatively measured using two parameters: the activity coefficient and the excess Gibbs free energy. The activity coefficient compares the actual vapor pressure of a solution to the vapor pressure predicted by Raoult's Law, while the excess Gibbs free energy compares the actual energy of a solution to the energy predicted by Raoult's Law.

What are the implications of Deviation from Raoult's Law?

Deviation from Raoult's Law has important implications for various industrial and scientific processes, such as distillation and chemical reactions. It can affect the separation and purification of substances in a solution, as well as the overall efficiency and accuracy of experimental results.

How can Deviation from Raoult's Law be accounted for?

Deviation from Raoult's Law can be accounted for by using more complex equations, such as the Wilson or NRTL equations, which take into account the non-ideal interactions between solute and solvent molecules. Additionally, experimental techniques such as activity coefficient measurements can be used to correct for deviations from Raoult's Law.