Using Right-Handed Coordinates: Exploring Solutions

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, the coordinate system the solutions chose to use was not the most commonly used for Earth.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Why did they not use a right-handed coordinate system for the part (a) of the problem below?
Relevant Equations
L = r cross p, where L, r, and p are vectors
Hi!

For this problem,
1669788502777.png

Why did the solutions choose to use a different coordinate system? I choose to use the right-handed coordinate system.
1669788563134.png

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Why did the solutions choose to use a different coordinate system?
Are you saying you don't consider East, North and Up to form a right-hand system? If so, you may want to reconsider.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thanks for your reply! Is the coordinate system they used the most commonly used for the earth?

Many thanks!

Filip Larsen said:
Are you saying you don't consider East, North and Up to form a right-hand system? If so, you may want to reconsider.
Thanks for your reply, I have not really done left-handed coordinate systems yet. I have only right-handed coordinate systems so I'm not really too sure how to compare it too.

Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Why did they not use a right-handed coordinate system for the part (a) of the problem below?
Relevant Equations:: L = r cross p, where L, r, and p are vectors

Hi!

For this problem,
View attachment 317935
Why did the solutions choose to use a different coordinate system? I choose to use the right-handed coordinate system.
View attachment 317937
Many thanks!
If East is positive x, North is positive y and up is positive z then (x,y,z) is right handed. (y,z,x), (z,x,y) would also be right handed. (z,y,x) would be right handed if you were to flip one direction, e.g. make West positive x, etc.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
The answer is that the angular momentum is oriented in the southward direction. This won't change if you use a different coordinate system. There is no such thing as a coordinate system "most commonly used for Earth". The coordinate system used in the solution is right-handed. The direction of the unit vector ##\hat{z}## is obtained from ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{y}## by the right-hand rule. (##\hat{z}##=##\hat{x} \times \hat{y}##)

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Filip Larsen said:
That doesn’t quite fix it. Those assignments can form a left- or right-handed system, depending on the order in which you write them in (,,). See post #5.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
That doesn’t quite fix it. Those assignments can form a left- or right-handed system, depending on the order in which you write them
The order of the directions was, believe it or not, implied by the order it was written. If someone giving you directions say you need to turn left, right, and left, and you then turn right, left, and left because you didn't realize the order was important then you probably shouldn't be walking around alone in the first place.

So, yes, I was assuming the OP was aware that order of the axes are important for determining whether a list of axes form a right-hand system and therefore I didn't mention it. If nothing else, I assume he is aware now if he weren't before, just as I assume you can pick up that I think you are nitpicking :)

Likes ChiralSuperfields and nasu
Thank you haruspex, nasu and Filip Larsen! I think I understand now.
1669850641198.png

1. What are right-handed coordinates?

Right-handed coordinates are a system of representing points in space using three perpendicular axes: x, y, and z. The x-axis points to the right, the y-axis points up, and the z-axis points towards the viewer. This system is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How do you use right-handed coordinates?

To use right-handed coordinates, you simply need to plot a point in space using the x, y, and z values. The x-value represents the distance from the origin along the x-axis, the y-value represents the distance from the origin along the y-axis, and the z-value represents the distance from the origin along the z-axis. These three values can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the location of the point in space.

3. What are the advantages of using right-handed coordinates?

One of the main advantages of using right-handed coordinates is that it is a standardized system, making it easier for scientists and engineers to communicate and work together. It also allows for easy visualization of points in 3D space and can be used to solve complex mathematical equations and problems.

4. What are some common applications of right-handed coordinates?

Right-handed coordinates are used in a wide variety of fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. They are especially useful in 3D modeling and animation, as well as in navigation and mapping systems.

5. Are there any alternatives to using right-handed coordinates?

Yes, there are other coordinate systems that are used in different contexts, such as left-handed coordinates and spherical coordinates. However, right-handed coordinates are the most commonly used system and are often preferred due to their simplicity and consistency.