1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the derivative of the formula of the number of nuclei

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I have a question concerning the derivative of the formula of the number of nuclei. I hope I've posted this in the right section, I'm new here :P. Anyway, in the question, the given values are:
    At a certain time t, there is an amount of radioactive Br-82. The activity A is 7.4*1014 Bq, the number of nuclei N is 9.6*1018.
    I'm meant to calculate t1/2, the time it takes before the number of nuclei has halved.

2. Relevant equations
    N = N0 * (½)t/t1/2
    The derivative of the formula above (given by the coursebook, so it's correct): A = ( ln(2) * N) / t1/2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What seemed like a plausible solution to me was to use the derivative to calculate t1/2.
    So: t1/2 = ( ln(2) * N) / A.
    That gave me: t1/2 = ( ln(2) * 9.6*1018 ) / ( 7.4*1014) = 8992 seconds. This derivative always uses t1/2 in seconds.
    This is equivalent to 8992/3600 = 2.50 hours. So t1/2 = 2.50 hours.
    The correct answer, however, is 35.3 hours.

Can anybody explain what mistake I have made, or why I can't use the derivative in this situation?
    Thank you very much in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you write ##t_\frac{1}{2}=\frac{N\ln 2}{A}##, you haven't actually solved for ##t_\frac{1}{2}##, since N depends on ##t_\frac{1}{2}##.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
    By this, I assume you mean I cannot use the starting values of A and N in that formula? Because in a different question where I non-starting values for A and N, my method did actually work.

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4

6. Apr 19, 2015 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to write T instead of ##t_\frac{1}{2}## to reduce the amount of typing.

I've had a closer look at the problem now. At first I thought you needed to solve the equation ##A(t)=\frac{N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\cdot\ln 2}{T}## for ##T##, but you don't. The problem gives you numerical values for A(t) and N(t) at one specific (but unspecified) time t. At that time, we have
    $$A(t)=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{T}.$$ So I see nothing wrong with the result
    $$T=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{A(t)}.$$ I will think about this some more, but right now I see nothing wrong with what you did. The result will be in seconds, because N(t) is given as a number of nuclei, and A(t) is given as a number of nuclei per second.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  7. Apr 19, 2015 #6
    Did you find out yet? :)

8. Apr 19, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still don't see anything wrong. The problem is saying that there's a real number t such that ##N(t)=9.6\cdot 10^{18}## and ##A(t)=7.4\cdot 10^{14}##. Since
    $$A(t)=-N'(t)=-\frac{d}{dt}\left(N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\right) =-N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}(\ln 2)\left(-\frac{1}{T}\right) =\frac{N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\cdot \ln 2}{T} =\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{T},$$ this means that
    $$T=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{A(t)}=\frac{9.6\cdot 10^{18}\cdot \ln 2}{7.4\cdot 10^{14}} =\frac{9.6\ln 2}{7.4}\cdot 10^4\approx 8992.$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted