Using the derivative of the formula of the number of nuclei

In summary: This conversation discusses how to calculate the time it takes for the number of nuclei to halve in a radioactive substance. One person suggests using the derivative of the formula for the number of nuclei, but another person points out that this approach is incorrect because the number of nuclei depends on the time it takes for the nuclei to halve. The correct solution is to use the numerical values given for the activity and number of nuclei at a certain time to calculate the half-life using the formula T = N(t) * ln(2) / A(t). The result is 8992 seconds, or approximately 2.50 hours.
Albo1125
Hi all,

I have a question concerning the derivative of the formula of the number of nuclei. I hope I've posted this in the right section, I'm new here :P. Anyway, in the question, the given values are:
At a certain time t, there is an amount of radioactive Br-82. The activity A is 7.4*1014 Bq, the number of nuclei N is 9.6*1018.
I'm meant to calculate t1/2, the time it takes before the number of nuclei has halved.

Homework Equations

N = N0 * (½)t/t1/2
The derivative of the formula above (given by the coursebook, so it's correct): A = ( ln(2) * N) / t1/2.

The Attempt at a Solution

What seemed like a plausible solution to me was to use the derivative to calculate t1/2.
So: t1/2 = ( ln(2) * N) / A.
That gave me: t1/2 = ( ln(2) * 9.6*1018 ) / ( 7.4*1014) = 8992 seconds. This derivative always uses t1/2 in seconds.
This is equivalent to 8992/3600 = 2.50 hours. So t1/2 = 2.50 hours.
The correct answer, however, is 35.3 hours.

Can anybody explain what mistake I have made, or why I can't use the derivative in this situation?
Thank you very much in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
When you write ##t_\frac{1}{2}=\frac{N\ln 2}{A}##, you haven't actually solved for ##t_\frac{1}{2}##, since N depends on ##t_\frac{1}{2}##.

Fredrik said:
When you write ##t_\frac{1}{2}=\frac{N\ln 2}{A}##, you haven't actually solved for ##t_\frac{1}{2}##, since N depends on ##t_\frac{1}{2}##.
By this, I assume you mean I cannot use the starting values of A and N in that formula? Because in a different question where I non-starting values for A and N, my method did actually work.

Albo1125 said:
By this, I assume you mean I cannot use the starting values of A and N in that formula? Because in a different question where I had non-starting values for A and N, my method did actually work.

I'm going to write T instead of ##t_\frac{1}{2}## to reduce the amount of typing.

I've had a closer look at the problem now. At first I thought you needed to solve the equation ##A(t)=\frac{N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\cdot\ln 2}{T}## for ##T##, but you don't. The problem gives you numerical values for A(t) and N(t) at one specific (but unspecified) time t. At that time, we have
$$A(t)=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{T}.$$ So I see nothing wrong with the result
$$T=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{A(t)}.$$ I will think about this some more, but right now I see nothing wrong with what you did. The result will be in seconds, because N(t) is given as a number of nuclei, and A(t) is given as a number of nuclei per second.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I'm going to write T instead of ##t_\frac{1}{2}## to reduce the amount of typing.

I've had a closer look at the problem now. At first I thought you needed to solve the equation ##A(t)=\frac{N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\cdot\ln 2}{T}## for ##T##, but you don't. The problem gives you numerical values for A(t) and N(t) at one specific (but unspecified) time t. At that time, we have
$$A(t)=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{T}.$$ So I see nothing wrong with the result
$$T=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{A(t)}.$$ I will think about this some more, but right now I see nothing wrong with what you did. The result will be in seconds, because N(t) is given as a number of nuclei, and A(t) is given as a number of nuclei per second.
Did you find out yet? :)

I still don't see anything wrong. The problem is saying that there's a real number t such that ##N(t)=9.6\cdot 10^{18}## and ##A(t)=7.4\cdot 10^{14}##. Since
$$A(t)=-N'(t)=-\frac{d}{dt}\left(N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\right) =-N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}(\ln 2)\left(-\frac{1}{T}\right) =\frac{N_0\cdot 2^{-t/T}\cdot \ln 2}{T} =\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{T},$$ this means that
$$T=\frac{N(t)\ln 2}{A(t)}=\frac{9.6\cdot 10^{18}\cdot \ln 2}{7.4\cdot 10^{14}} =\frac{9.6\ln 2}{7.4}\cdot 10^4\approx 8992.$$

1. What is the formula for the number of nuclei?

The formula for the number of nuclei is N = N0e-λt, where N is the current number of nuclei, N0 is the initial number of nuclei, λ is the decay constant, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How is the derivative of the formula for the number of nuclei used?

The derivative of the formula for the number of nuclei is used to calculate the rate of change of the number of nuclei over time. It allows us to determine how quickly the number of nuclei is decreasing due to radioactive decay.

3. Can the derivative of the formula for the number of nuclei be used to predict future values?

Yes, the derivative can be used to make predictions about future values of the number of nuclei. By plugging in different values for t, we can see how the number of nuclei will change over time and make predictions about its future values.

4. What is the significance of the decay constant in the formula for the number of nuclei?

The decay constant, λ, represents the probability of a single nucleus decaying per unit time. It is a characteristic of each radioactive isotope and is used to calculate the rate of decay and the half-life of the isotope.

5. Is the derivative of the formula for the number of nuclei affected by external factors?

No, the derivative of the formula for the number of nuclei is not affected by external factors. It is solely dependent on the decay constant and the initial number of nuclei, and is not influenced by any external factors such as temperature or pressure.