Nuclear decay activity - value for money?

In summary, the conversation discusses the production and decay of radioactive nuclei A in a nuclear reactor. The rate of production is R per second, and the decay occurs with a probability of λ per second. The equations N(t) = R/λ(1-e^(-λt)), N'(t) = R-λN, and Activity = λN = R(1-e^(-λt)) are used to calculate the rate of change and number of particles at any given time. It is also shown that the activity approaches a constant R as t becomes large. The question is posed: if the accelerator used to produce the nuclei is costly to run, how long should it be irradiated to maximize the activity per cost, or in
Silversonic

Homework Statement

Radioactive nuclei A are produced at a rate R per second in a nuclear reactor. They decay with probability λ per second.

(Qu 1-2 involving deriving the rate of change and number particles at any given time, I've done this).

3) Show the activity tends to R, a constant, as t is large. (I've done this!)

4) If the accelerator is costly to run, how long would you irradiate to get the best value for money. i.e. maximum activity per buck (I'm stuck/confused by this).

Homework Equations

[itex] N(t) = \frac {R}{λ}(1-e^{-λt}) [/itex]

N'(t) = R - λN

Activity = λN = [itex] R(1-e^{-λt}) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused by what 4) is actually asking. What would actually be the purpose of this whole arrangement then? Radioactive particles are produced by an accelerator which is costly to run. That's fair enough. But what are the radioactive particles wanted for? Do we want to use the nuclei before they decay? Or do we want to use the decay results of the nuclei?

The actual reason behind this confuses me, I don't understand exactly the aim behind the arrangement and thus how we would get "value for money". It depends what we want this to be used for.

When t gets large, N(t) stays relatively constant and no more "new" nuclei are added to the sum total. This is because the activity reaches the rate at which nuclei enter the system. I have the answer and it tells me that after time t = 1/λ activity reaches 63% of equilibrium, t = 2/λ it reaches 85%, then 95% and so on. So "you don't win much by irradiating longer than t = 2-3/λ)". What is there to win?

If we want to increas the number of nuclei, then yes, it wouldn't make much sense to keep it on too long because the number of nuclei won't increase. But if we turn the accelerator off then R goes to zero and the number of nuclei drops to zero due to normal decay. Which would surely be counter-productive if what we "want" is a large number of nuclei? Or do we want the activity to rise because we want the decay properties for something? Even if the activity doesn't change much for large t, turning the accelerator off would mean the activity eventually drops to zero anyway which would also surely be counter productive. This may/may not be introductory. It was basically a revision question for radioactive decay laws which is pretty much based on A level ("high school") syllabuses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret the question thus:
The reactor will be run for some time T then switched off. The cost of that is cT, some constant c. The reaction products will then be sold for a price, pλN, proportional to the activity remaining at that time. Find the T that maximises profit.

Related to Nuclear decay activity - value for money?

1. What is nuclear decay activity and how is it measured?

Nuclear decay activity refers to the rate at which a radioactive substance decays. It is measured in becquerels (Bq) which is equivalent to one decay per second.

2. How does nuclear decay activity affect the value for money of a nuclear power plant?

Nuclear decay activity is a significant factor in determining the value for money of a nuclear power plant. The higher the activity, the more energy is produced and the more cost-effective the plant is.

3. What factors can impact nuclear decay activity?

Nuclear decay activity can be impacted by a variety of factors including the type of radioactive substance, its half-life, and the conditions of the reactor.

4. How is the value for money of nuclear decay activity compared to other forms of energy production?

The value for money of nuclear decay activity is often compared to other forms of energy production, such as fossil fuels or renewable sources. This comparison takes into account factors such as cost, efficiency, and environmental impact.

5. What is the relationship between nuclear decay activity and the potential hazards of nuclear power plants?

Nuclear decay activity is directly related to the potential hazards of nuclear power plants. The higher the activity, the greater the risk for radiation leaks and other safety concerns. This is why proper management and regulation of nuclear decay activity is crucial for the safe operation of nuclear power plants.