1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the limit definition (f(x+h)-f(x)\h

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    I have to differentiate some problems using the limit definition (f(x+h)-f(x)\h), but Iam having some trouble on a couple.

1. Square root of 30 is 0 because its a constant correct?

2. R(t) = 5t^(-3/5) <---- I have tried this problem many times with the definition, but I cant come up with the correct solution and I dont know why!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2
    1. correct

2. rewrite this as [tex] 5\frac{d}{dt} \frac{1}{t^{\frac{3}{5}}} [/tex].

So: [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt[5]{(t+h)^{3}}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt[5]{t^{3}}} [/tex]. Subtract the fractions. Then rationalize the numerator. take the limit, and then multiply by 5.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  4. Oct 11, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. Wow, I hate it when people misuse terminology so badly!!

NO!!! [itex]\sqrt{30}[/itex] is NOT 0!!!. It is about 5.4! Of course, it is true that the derivative of the function [itex]f(x)= \sqrt{30}[/itex], since that is a constant function, is 0.

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    hmm iam still confused.. sorry
    not about square root of 30.. about the next problem

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5
    courtigrad, you surely meant the derivative wrt. t, didn't you? ;)

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    yeah, just a typo. my bad. also i notice people type "courtigrad" instead of "courtrigrad".

8. Oct 11, 2006 #7
    the trouble is: what do you multiply the fraction by to rationalize the numerator.

[tex] t^{\frac{3}{5}} - (t+h)^{\frac{3}{5}} [/tex] multiplied by something to get [tex] t - (t+h) = -h [/tex]

For example, [tex] t^{\frac{1}{2}} - (t+h)^{\frac{1}{2}}(t^{\frac{1}{2}} + (t+h)^{\frac{1}{2}}) = -h [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  9. Oct 11, 2006 #8
    Alright I got it.. Thanks Guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?