1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the ratio test to figure if the series is convergent

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\sum[/itex] ftom n=1 to [itex]\infty[/itex] (-2)n/nn.

3. The attempt at a solution
    limn->[itex]\infty[/itex] | (-2)n+1/(n+1)n+1) x nn/(-2)n | = |-2|limn->[itex]\infty[/itex] |(n/n+1)n*(1/n+1) |

If it were only (n/n+1) then would the answer be 2e? Either way, how do you sole this the way it is?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think there are brackets missing.
    (n/(n+1)^n) is smaller than 1, that is sufficient here. The other factor is more interesting.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3
    Another way to look at it: The growth rate of n^n is faster than that of n!. If you replace n^n with n!, where does that leave you at?

5. Mar 8, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If n > 3 then (2/n)^n < (2/3)^n.

6. Mar 8, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Notice that by the ratio test, the series of positive terms will converge and so Ʃan will be absolutely convergent which implies Ʃan will converge.

7. Mar 9, 2013 #6
    By the ratio test i'm left with: 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] |nn/(n+1)n+1)| which is the same as what i previously wrote: 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] [n/(n+1)]n*1/(n+1).

Dividing by the largest power of the polynomial in the denominator:
    2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] [1/(1+1/n)]n*1/(n+1).-
    so it becomes: 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] |1n*[1/(1+n)] = 2 x limx->[itex]\infty[/itex] 1n*0=0
    ratio test = 0>1 therefore the series is absolutely convergent and therefore convergent.

The only thing im not sure about doing in this problem really is how to deal with the numbers when i divide them by n when i'm working out the limit.

8. Mar 9, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can always divide numerator and denominator by n, if you do it consistently (as n!=0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted