Using ultrasound to create guitar effects

In summary, it may be possible to use ultrasound to interfere with sound coming out of a guitar amplifier or to send ultrasound together with a normal guitar signal in the amp. However, the effect may not be noticeable or useful as most audio systems have limitations that prevent amplification of ultrasonic frequencies. It may only result in a high-pitched whine or potentially harm the amplifier. There are also other easier ways to achieve this type of effect.
vlada113
Im interested in using ultrasound to intrfere with sound that comes out of guitar amplifier or sending ultrasound together with normal guitar signal in amp.

My questions are : Is it possible? What will it do? Is there anything like it that i can look into?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
vlada113 said:
Im interested in using ultrasound to intrfere with sound that comes out of guitar amplifier or sending ultrasound together with normal guitar signal in amp.

My questions are : Is it possible? What will it do? Is there anything like it that i can look into?

Thank you very much
I guess it would be possible, but I don't think it would have much noticeable effect. For really high frequencies (Mhz or Ghz), any modulation of the guitar signal that it produced would be above the human range of hearing. If the frequency were almost within the normal audible range, you might be able to produce an annoying high-pitched whine as a difference frequency, but there are much easier ways to do that.

vlada113 said:
My questions are : Is it possible? What will it do?
Common audio systems usually has a bandwidth limitation what prevents the amplification of (useless) ultrasonic frequencies.
Some extreme audiophile super-gizmo has wider bandwidth, but even those ends somewhere around 40kHz.
Within these limitations the most you can have out of this is ~ a burning amplifier and many scared/jumpy dogs and cats.
Maybe some bats could be affected.

Last edited:

1. How does ultrasound create guitar effects?

Ultrasound creates guitar effects by using high frequency sound waves to manipulate the vibrations of the guitar strings. These sound waves are generated by a piezoelectric transducer, which is attached to the guitar's body. The transducer converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, causing the strings to vibrate at a higher frequency than they would naturally. This creates unique and often unexpected sounds.

2. Is ultrasound safe for the guitar?

Yes, ultrasound is generally safe for the guitar as long as it is used properly. The transducer should be attached to a non-vibrating area of the guitar's body and not directly on the strings. It is also important to use appropriate power levels to prevent any damage to the instrument.

3. Can ultrasound be used with any type of guitar?

Yes, ultrasound can be used with any type of guitar as long as the transducer is attached correctly. However, the type of guitar and its materials may affect the quality and range of the ultrasound effects produced. For example, a solid body electric guitar may produce different effects compared to a hollow body acoustic guitar.

4. Are there any limitations to using ultrasound for guitar effects?

There are some limitations to using ultrasound for guitar effects. The range of frequencies that can be produced may be limited by the transducer and the guitar's materials. Additionally, the placement of the transducer and the power levels used can also affect the quality and range of the effects. Experimentation and proper technique can help overcome these limitations.

5. Can ultrasound be used in live performances?

Yes, ultrasound can be used in live performances. However, it may require some adjustments to the setup and equipment to ensure the effects are properly amplified and balanced with other instruments. It is also important to consider the venue and audience to prevent any potential safety hazards or discomfort from high frequency sounds.