1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Work Energy Theorem to Find Necessary Velocity

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/
    You must push a box up an incline plane (the angle being constant : a), to a person waiting to receive it, who is a distance of h(constant) vertically above you. Though the slope is slippery, there is a small amount of friction with kinetic friction coefficient μk. Use the work-energy theorem to determine the minimum speed at which you must push the box, so that it may reach the receiver. Express answer in terms of g, h, μk, and a

2. Relevant equations
    Among many equations there are:
    Fkk*Fn (FN being natural force)
    Force of Gravity=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the answer is the square root of 2gh(1+μk/tan(a)), but I am not fully sure what the steps are to reaching this conclusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried? What does the work-energy theorem say? What are the types of energy involved here?

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    I thought the wording of this problem was a little vague. Just to clarify, the person at the bottom gives the box a shove, and releases it at an initial velocity such that the box slides up the incline (without any additional pushing) and just barely makes it to the top.

5. Nov 23, 2016 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted