Utilizing to generate power of excess 60# steam

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using 60# steam to generate electrical power. It is mentioned that the efficiency of a steam plant depends on its operating pressure, and 60# is considered low. The speaker is trying to find a way to utilize the excess 60# steam, which is sometimes vented due to low demand during T&I shutdowns. They are looking for ideas to optimize the plant's power using the excess steam. One suggestion is to turn down the boiler, but the speaker explains that the boiler is still needed for the running part of the plant. It is also mentioned that GE makes small steam turbines and could potentially be contacted for assistance.
shamfa0g
Is it possible to use 60# steam to generate electrical power.

Regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Certainly, though the efficiency of a steam plant depends mostly on its operating pressure and 60# is pretty low.

Thanks russ,
I am trying to utilize the excess 60# steam. Sometimes we vent the excess 60# steam due to low demand due to T&I shutdowns.

Generally, I am looking for an idea to optimize the plant power using the 60# steam.

regards,

Why can't you just turn down the boiler?

This is partial T&I shutdown, the bolier still needed for the running part of the plant.

How much excess steam are we talking about? GE makes relatively small steam turbines - perhaps you could contact them: http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/steam_turbines/en/downloads/steam_brochure.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Utilizing to generate power of excess 60# steam"?

"Utilizing to generate power of excess 60# steam" refers to the process of harnessing the energy from excess steam with a pressure of 60 pounds per square inch (psi) to generate electricity or other forms of power.

2. How is excess steam with a pressure of 60# generated?

Excess steam with a pressure of 60# is generated as a byproduct of various industrial processes, such as in power plants or manufacturing facilities. It is produced when water is heated to its boiling point and the steam is not fully utilized in the process.

3. What are the benefits of utilizing excess 60# steam to generate power?

Utilizing excess 60# steam to generate power has several benefits, including reducing waste and maximizing efficiency. It also provides a cost-effective way to generate electricity without burning additional fuel.

4. How is excess 60# steam converted into power?

Excess 60# steam can be converted into power through various methods, such as using steam turbines or steam engines. These devices use the pressure and heat of the steam to rotate a turbine or piston, which in turn generates electricity.

5. What are the potential challenges of utilizing excess 60# steam to generate power?

Some potential challenges of utilizing excess 60# steam to generate power include the high cost of equipment and maintenance, as well as the need for specialized knowledge and skills to operate and maintain the equipment. Additionally, the availability of excess 60# steam may vary depending on the industrial process and production levels.