What Are the UV Radiation Risks of Using a Thyratron Tube?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an old RCA Thyatron tube (model 3C23) in an art piece as a glowing element. The speaker mentions feeding 50-60 watts through the anode to make it glow and asks about the potential for UV radiation. They also mention a link to a website about powering the tube and discuss the properties of quartz and borosilicate glass in relation to UV radiation. The conversation ends with a discussion about testing for UV emissions and the spectrum of the light produced by the tube.
bwinter
So I have an old RCA Thyatron tube (model 3C23) I'm using in an art piece as a glowing element. Just feeding maybe 50-60 watts through the anode to make it glow.

My question is, do I have to be worried about UV radiation? I heard somewhere the glass was quartz or borosilicate and blocked it, but I'm not sure.

This might be a reach, but assuming this is a mercury vapor, is there a way to calculate the spectra at a given wavelength given the voltage and current through the gas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bwinter said:
So I have an old RCA Thyatron tube (model 3C23) I'm using in an art piece as a glowing element. Just feeding maybe 50-60 watts through the anode to make it glow.

don't know if you have seen this page relating to powering them ?
https://www.pocketmagic.net/thyratrons/

bwinter said:
My question is, do I have to be worried about UV radiation? I heard somewhere the glass was quartz or borosilicate and blocked it, but I'm not sure.

I have yet to find anything specific

If the tube contain Mercury vapor then yes it can radiate UV. Quartz I believe is a good transmitter of UV while glass in general absorbs some of it especially the longer wavelengths. A way to test if UV is being emitted you might try getting some laundry powder like TIDE or a fluoresenct paint and see if it glows. Some detergents contain substances that fluoresce in sun light making the cloths look brighter.

Likes Asymptotic

1. What is UV radiation?

UV radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. It has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light, and is responsible for causing sunburns and other skin damage.

2. How does a Thyratron produce UV radiation?

A Thyratron is a type of gas-filled tube that is used to control high-voltage electrical currents. When a high voltage is applied to the tube, the gas inside is ionized and produces a burst of UV radiation.

3. Is UV radiation from Thyratrons harmful?

Yes, UV radiation from Thyratrons can be harmful if proper safety precautions are not taken. Exposure to high levels of UV radiation can cause skin burns, eye damage, and increase the risk of skin cancer.

4. Are there any benefits to UV radiation from Thyratrons?

Yes, UV radiation from Thyratrons has several industrial and scientific applications. It is used in processes such as sterilization, fluorescence microscopy, and photolithography.

5. What safety measures should be taken when working with Thyratrons?

When working with Thyratrons, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It is also crucial to limit exposure time and distance from the radiation source, as well as properly shield and contain the radiation. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the equipment is also necessary to ensure safe operation.