UWisc vs UMN for math undergraduate

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's dilemma between choosing the University of Wisconsin-Madison or the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities for their undergraduate math major. Both schools have similar math rankings, but UWisc has a higher comprehensive ranking. However, UMN has a cheaper tuition for international students, making the total expense about $6000 less per year. The speaker's family can afford UMN, but attending UWisc would put them in debt. The speaker worries about the "name" disadvantage when applying to top grad schools if they choose UMN over UWisc. The conversation also mentioned the importance of using time wisely as an undergrad to increase chances of getting into a good grad school. Ultimately, the speaker prefers UMN but is
galoisj
I am an international student from China.
Now I have got admitted by University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. Both are math majors.

The math rankings of the two universities are similar but the comprehensive ranking of UWisc is much higher. UMN's advantage is the expense. The tuition for intl students is cheap this year.So the total expense of UMN is about 6000 dollars/year less than that of UWisc.

My family could exatly afford UMN while will be in debt if I attend UWisc.

I prefer UMN but I am always afraid of the grad application four years later. UWisc's prestige and ranking are better so if I go to UMN will I be in disadvantage regarding the "name" when applying to grad schools?

I am good at math and owned the first prize of Chinese national math competiton.But because of my very bad SAT score(English is always not my strongpoint) and financial ability I could not apply for better universities or colleges.
So I place my hopes on the grad application. I want to go to top schools such as MIT,Harvard in the future.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
These threads have been really common lately, so I will just repeat myself. Both of the schools you are talking about are very good. Go with the cheaper one and save your family the money. Using your time wisely as an undergrad (getting involved in research, perhaps taking grad courses, etc.) is the best way to ensure you will get into a great grad school.

galoisj said:
I prefer UMN but I am always afraid of the grad application four years later. UWisc's prestige and ranking are better so if I go to UMN will I be in disadvantage regarding the "name" when applying to grad schools?

Getting into grad school is much more about you than about the undergrad school you went to, assuming of course that you got a decent undergraduate education.

Do you have time to visit the two schools? Their campuses are VERY different.

I would say go to Wisconsin, all things being the same as Madison is a great town! But money is an issue, I don't think your education will suffer at UMN in the least.

I am currently an undergrad at Madison in and Engineering program. As has already been pointed out, Madison is a great town. The math department here is good once you get out of the more common classes. The professor are typically quite helpful when contacted outside of class. Madison offers many opportunities to get involved with research, even at the undergraduate level (Junior and Senior years) which will help with your application to grad schools.

I'm obviously biased towards Madison and have never visited UMN, but I believe you'll have a better overall college experience by coming to Madison.

1. Which university has a better math program, UWisc or UMN?

Both UWisc and UMN have strong math programs with reputable faculty and rigorous curriculum. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals.

2. What are the differences between the math programs at UWisc and UMN?

The main differences between the math programs at UWisc and UMN lie in their specific course offerings, research opportunities, and focus areas. It is important to research and compare the two programs to see which aligns better with your interests and goals.

3. How are the job prospects for math graduates from UWisc and UMN?

Both UWisc and UMN have strong reputations in the math community and produce highly skilled graduates. Graduates from both universities have good job prospects in a variety of industries, including finance, technology, and academia.

4. Are there any notable differences in tuition and financial aid between UWisc and UMN for math undergraduate?

The tuition and financial aid for UWisc and UMN vary depending on factors such as residency status, scholarships, and financial need. It is important to research and compare the costs and financial aid options for each university to determine which is more affordable for you.

5. What are some notable alumni from the math programs at UWisc and UMN?

Both UWisc and UMN have produced successful alumni in the field of math, including Nobel Prize winners and renowned mathematicians. Some notable alumni from UWisc include Terence Tao, a Fields Medalist, and Karen Uhlenbeck, the first woman to receive the Abel Prize. Notable alumni from UMN include John Tate, a Fields Medalist, and Joan Birman, a renowned topologist.