Vacuum chamber air intake problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a vacuum chamber made from acrylic materials. The chamber is able to maintain a vacuum level of 50 micron, but when the vacuum motor is turned off, air starts to enter the chamber. The individual has added a valve and an oil bath to help maintain the vacuum, but there is still an issue with air entering. Possible solutions discussed include cleaning the chamber with IPA alcohol and using a different material than PVC. The purpose of the vacuum chamber project is to replicate a patent and achieve a steady vacuum level of 500 micron. The use of argon gas and the potential for sputtering is also mentioned.
captoro
hello,

I have build a vacuum chamber out of an acrylic cylinder.
I can get down to 50 micron but if I turn off the vacuum motor the chamber does not keep its atmosphere (air getting in)
What i did is add a high quality valve between the chamber and motor. Sunk everything in an oil bath. Turn off the valve and quickly disconnect the hose from the motor vacuum and sink that in the oil bath too.
Now everything is submerge and My sensor indicates that air is coming in ! slowly goes from 50 micron to 600 micron then it stays there
Any thoughts about this would be appreciated??

thanks

ken

Physics news on Phys.org
All materials outgas! This is especially true if the stuff you use inside vacuum are not clean (as in free of hydrocarbons, etc.)

Zz.

Its a PVC tube with acrylic plates on the end. Very solid, but I guess its not good for outgassing.
What are the possibility ?
1) cleaning the container ? soap is ok ?
2) USING different material ?
3) add a coating of some sort in the inside ?

Ken

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you intend to do or what vacuum level you wish to achieve.

Note that even in the most stringent system, one keeps the vacuum pumps running all the time if one wants to maintain such vacuum levels. A few applications such as PMTs where the tubes are sealed are the exceptions, but those usually are made under very clean conditions (or they were cleaned after assembly or during processing).

PVC tubes are never meant to be used to maintain good vacuum.

Zz.

I want to get 500mTorr or just around, i can keep this with the vacuum running. The problem with that is I also want to insert Argon gas inside, so I cannot keep the motor (vacuum) running.

I was thinking coating the inside with resin or some other material.
what do you think??

ken

Zz is correct, everything has to be clean. Free of finger prints, oil, dirty or any other contamination. The vacuum pump should be left on. Resin isn't a good substance in vacuum. Any kinda resin will outgas and you'll never be able to obtain a steady pressure let alone deep enough vacuum.
You should use IPA alcohol for cleaning. Soap will leave a film and some contamination.
What purpose are you building this for? What process are you looking at doing? What pressures are you looking to achieve? Are you sputtering because you using Ar? Just wondering :)

Bender

I am trying to replicate a patent, but they use glass, but it is very costly for me.
I am looking to obtain a steady 500 micron. Have not use Ar yet . but as soon as I can get stability, I will. !
I will go to the pharmacy and get some alcohol, see what it does

K

1. What is a vacuum chamber air intake problem?

A vacuum chamber air intake problem refers to an issue where air is unintentionally entering the vacuum chamber, disrupting the intended vacuum environment.

2. What causes a vacuum chamber air intake problem?

There are several potential causes of a vacuum chamber air intake problem, including leaks in the chamber walls, faulty seals or gaskets, or improper use or maintenance of the chamber.

3. How can a vacuum chamber air intake problem be detected?

A vacuum chamber air intake problem can be detected by monitoring the pressure levels inside the chamber, as well as conducting visual inspections for any signs of air leakage.

4. What are the potential consequences of a vacuum chamber air intake problem?

A vacuum chamber air intake problem can lead to inaccurate experimental results, as well as damage to sensitive equipment or samples that require a specific vacuum environment.

5. How can a vacuum chamber air intake problem be prevented?

To prevent a vacuum chamber air intake problem, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the chamber, including checking for leaks and replacing any worn seals or gaskets. It is also important to properly follow operating procedures and protocols to minimize the risk of air entering the chamber.